The Starbucks Bean to Cup Experience

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The Starbucks Bean to Cup Experience

Postby LisaB » Sat May 13, 2006 11:57 pm

Just thought I'd enlighten you all about a recent trip to my local (to work) Starbucks in villier street, london.

I have been on the look out for a grinder, and thought I'd do a bit of trainspotting. I ordered a coffee and then went off to find the grinder they were using. I couldn't find one. It was nowhere. I then discovered why there was no grinder. They were using great big industrial-size bean to cup machines! The shop has recently been closed for refurbishment and now I know why.

Well, what can I say? I was shocked. Being a newbie to this, I have spent the last couple of weeks learning that bean to cup machines are OK, but they don't produce the best coffee (although I must admit that the Starbucks coffee didn't taste any different - perhaps because their coffee has always been below par?).

This isn't right, is it?????!!!!!!
LisaB

Postby nickr » Sun May 14, 2006 6:23 am

All branches used to have massive 3 group Marzocco's and Mazzers (absolute Rolls Royce set up) and still produced rubbish. Today’s rubbish is probably slightly better though - no skill involved. The Americans always refer to Starbucks as "Charbucks" never understood why, I've never tasted coffee there, always seems to be just hot milk.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby zapty » Sun May 14, 2006 7:09 am

That is one chain I refuse to buy coffee in although my ex brother in law works for them as a director, he used to be a fighter pilot and the rarefied air did him no good in my opinion.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Steve » Sun May 14, 2006 10:12 am

All branches used to have massive 3 group Marzocco's and Mazzers (absolute Rolls Royce set up)

I've often thought where did they all go? There must a big pile of them somewhere that they want £1.50 for the lot. Dam shame :( :cry:
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joris » Sun May 14, 2006 12:09 pm

I received an email yesterday from someone who had a nasty *$ experience, read it and weep ;)

---snip---
Yesterday I had the most terrifying experience ever in my life with a cup of American coffee...I decided I was ready for a break, after spending the whole morning in the lab. I found a place where they "proudly serve starbucks" coffee and ordered a caffe latte, thinking
I had found the only decent coffee there is to be had in America.

NOT.

It was luke warm, tasted like it had 10 sugars in it (I didn't put any in), and generally tasted more like fake hot cocoa than anything else. The caffe latte here is made with what they call 'irish cream' which is some kind of thick, creamy paste, with kilo's of sugar. This obviously put me in a bad mood, as it would any coffee addict...so when a coworker came in I complained. He said I should try the espresso, which I did today. The double espresso was if anything much too bitter, and tasted like the plastic cup it was served in. I added some coffee creamer which I thought would improve the taste a little. It didn't.
---snap---

A sad story.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Davec » Sun May 14, 2006 12:10 pm

:shock: :? :cry: It is sad, truly sad. The wors thing about it all though is a similar thing might happen with the general coffee drinking public as with tea. At one time tea leaves were a premium product and attracted a premium price. Now the ubiquitous teabag (AKA dust in a bag) is in many cases actually a lot more expensive than quality loose tea!!!

I can almost see the day when customers, offered a choice...choose the bean to cup machine rather than a trained barista on a quality espresso machine. They will be thinking that the fully automated, machine produced beverage.....must be better.

Yeah.......truly shocking, however after Nespresso and Tassismo and Stupidimo.....nothing suprises me any more :lol:
Davec

Postby AlanP » Sun May 14, 2006 1:10 pm

For a while $bux were advertising sponsors of CoffeeGeek but they withdrew their sponsorship because so many CG members criticized their methods and their coffee :)
There's an interesting thread in progress at the moment $bux versus local cafe
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby monkey66 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:39 pm

Bean-to-cup machines will appear in all chains soon, Pret a Manger (who do some very edible food) have always used them and their coffee is undrinkable....I suspect sh1tbucks et all will go this way soon as the cost/convienence model (not forgetting they already make bad coffee) will out.

On a brighter note i find Cafe Nero seem to make a drinkable espresso and fairly consistant which means they are putting some level of QC and training into their process.
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby CakeBoy » Sun May 14, 2006 5:40 pm

Our local Buckies has gone from pretty bad coffee on the old manual set-up to consistently average coffee with the superautos. You are right about it tasting like hot milk. The whole thing is way too frothy, but can remotely be salvaged by having an extra two shots added to a large (Venti) capp. Trouble then is the char-grilled coffee taste begins to break through. I still think Costa is the best of the chains in this country - the coffee being pretty good in the stores that extract it properly.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Sun May 14, 2006 5:48 pm

In the late fifties coffee bars were all the rage and I was but a callow youth.
My friend and I found these places perfect for meeting girls and strutting our stuff.
Given that we considered ourselves sophisticates and men of the world, we were always dressed in smart suits, immaculate white shirts and tasteful ties, as was the fashion of the time.
This effect was rather spoiled however, when my friend rose from his seat and advanced towards the counter with a tray firmly stuck to his backside.
Yep....he had plumped himself down on a tray covered in rings of sticky, gooey, sugary coffee.
It remains one of my favourite moments only equalled by the time he was carried out of the local cinema on a stretcher by St. John's Ambulance men, having zipped himself up rather too abruptly in the loo.
The girl waiting in the back row of the cinema for him to return was not too impressed.
Ah...happy days.
:D
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Sun May 14, 2006 6:02 pm

:lol: :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Sun May 14, 2006 6:06 pm

I wish I could spend a few evenings with you George, telling stories, having a cuppa and a few nips and laughing my head off.
Might just have to plan a trip on down to kilt country..
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby GeorgeW » Sun May 14, 2006 7:08 pm

zapty wrote:I wish I could spend a few evenings with you George, telling stories, having a cuppa and a few nips and laughing my head off.

You should do that, but remember to bring an umbrella.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Davec » Sun May 14, 2006 8:04 pm

GeorgeW wrote:
zapty wrote:I wish I could spend a few evenings with you George, telling stories, having a cuppa and a few nips and laughing my head off.

Ahh, unless he has his teeth in...then you won't need it :wink: :roll: :lol:
Davec

Postby GeorgeW » Sun May 14, 2006 8:32 pm

Davec wrote:
GeorgeW wrote:

Ahh, unless he has his teeth in...then you won't need it :wink: :roll: :lol:

Well...yeah..that's true and I'm hoping he won't mind damp cushions given my little problem. :oops:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee