Expresso in the Lanes

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Expresso in the Lanes

Postby Fatboy_007 » Thu May 04, 2006 6:25 pm

:?: Off on a training course in Brighton tomorrow, anyone quickly know of a reasonable coffee drinking establishment in or near the Lanes (near Palace Pier) :?:
Fatboy_007

Postby espressomattic » Thu May 04, 2006 7:02 pm

There are plently in and around the Lanes...been a while since I have been there tho' so I can't recall specifics...sorry
espressomattic

Postby kingseven » Thu May 04, 2006 9:53 pm

Red Roaster in Brighton is great, but I don't know where he is in relation to where you are. Google may help...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby leecb » Fri May 05, 2006 11:22 am

Red Roaster is just on the other side of the Pavilion I think, not too far! Great coffee as well!!
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Fatboy_007 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:35 pm

Can't think why kingseven would recommend the Red Roaster, not with those two big La Spaz's glinting away on the counter. :lol: :wink:

Seriously though, got there an hour early and found the place at about 9.15am. Ordered a double espresso and double cappucino, mainly because I drink caps mostly, but if the chance to have a decent shot arises than you really should take it up. And what can I say, pretty damn fine coffee, and those four shots in 15 minutes will wake you up :shock: . But there were other things beside the coffee!

Baristi were busy, queues nearly out the door, so just pleasant, not friendly and chatty, but better than most places. Decor great, proper leather sofas, slightly shabby chic, but nice, bit tatty round th edges, but aren't we all.

However the clientelle, strange really, several people actually talked to me, unbidden and without cash changing hands :wink: must be something to do with the coffee. I think the love and attention that they put into it infuse the clientelle.

I am sure this is a subject that has been discussed many times, but one of the many wonderful things about good coffee, and even more so, good cafes is the atmosphere, making this one of the best cafe/coffee experiences this year.

So thanks to everyone for the recommendation :D
Fatboy_007

Postby Fatboy_007 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:36 pm

:twisted: I also cant quite believe I spelt Espresso with an X :evil: :oops:
Fatboy_007

Postby kingseven » Fri May 05, 2006 11:09 pm

There are a lot of La Spaz's in Brighton (we have a very active customer there) but Red Roaster buys good greens too, and is into his coffee.

Shame I've never had the chance to be on his turf and try his coffee. Anette and I have been meaning to go for ages...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby BazBean » Sat May 06, 2006 7:53 am

However the clientelle, strange really, several people actually talked to me, unbidden and without cash changing hands must be something to do with the coffee.

only in the world of coffee lovers would this be possible ......... gota love this stuff and not just for the flavour
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby canta_brian » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:41 am

An old thread to reply to i know but I had a cracking flatty in Pokeno Pies in the lanes the other day. They use the Red Roaster blend but being staffed by kiwis know how to pull a decent shot and foam some milk.

Pies are great too and you can have mash and gravy if you want.

Edit: Typo
canta_brian

Postby Glenn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Is this place run by Kiwi's?

I used to live near Pokeno in NZ and we used to have some great pies there (also famous for Bacon and Ice Creams).

I presume it is a flat-white you are referring to.

Tine for a trip to Brighton me-thinks!
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby canta_brian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Yeah it is run by Kiwis. I was at home at the end of 2006 and bought the great NZ pie guide for touring. It had a couple of overseas NZ pie shops and Pokeno was the only UK one. Yep and flattys were the order of the day.
canta_brian

Postby leecb » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:16 pm

Ah Pokeno, ahhhh NZ rat-packs, stop it boys you're quite making me homesick :lol:

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Glenn » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:21 pm

Stops at the Pokeno Bacon Company and giant Triple Scoop Hokey Pokey Ice Creams on the way 'down south' were in order every time we drove through.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby canta_brian » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:15 pm

leecb wrote:Ah Pokeno, ahhhh NZ rat-packs, stop it boys you're quite making me homesick :lol:

Tell me about it. I am not going home till they resurrect Georgie Pie though. Not great pies but putting your chips under the pastry of a steak and cheese after too many on a thursday night was heaven
canta_brian

Postby leecb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:59 pm

OH MY GOD, hokey pokey icecream!!!
First stop for me, Burger Fuel in Ponsonby Rd for a real kiwi-burger, next stop The Middle East Cafe in Wellesley St for a shwarma- heaven.
All I seem to do at home is eat and drink :roll: :lol:
Oh and the coffee ain't bad either 8)
(Ponsonby Rd officially known as La Marzocco mile :mrgreen: )

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee