New York

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New York

Postby nickr » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Just back from New York. Loved it. Has to be the Ultimate Coffee destination. My wife's obsession is Bob Dylan whilst mine is obviously coffee. The two coinsided at 9th street Espresso, which was our favourite. Can't believe the standard of coffee there. We went into a cake shop on Bleeker St had a cake and an espresso - The machine was something unheard of, as was the grinder but the result was a shot to be proud of. Why is British coffee so, so rubbish? Can't wait to go back and sample more.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:00 am

That's cool because you talk to an American, and they will say New York is a backwater in the coffee world. I think we should organize a TMC outing to Seattle and to Portland and really indulge ourselves, anyone up for it :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:33 am

Yup, count me in... New York does have some good coffee shops but you do have to hunt them out. From what I gather you trip over them on the west coast...
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:12 am

Been to Seattle ..... but it was before my coffee days, so I wandered round the Kingdome instead of seeking out decent coffee :?

Better to stay in Vancouver Steve eh? Just drive down to Seattle/Portland for decent coffee, then spend the rest of the time cupping SOs north of the border with your favourite person :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:39 am

It was never brilliant but I never had a bad cup of coffee in San Francisco. I think the more laid back the area the more time they have to do a good job.
I swear by the holy tree of Ethiopia that I never went near $***bucks.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby nickr » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:06 pm

I hate to admit this, but whilst in NY we went in every Star $ we saw....................Not for coffee you understand, Bob Dylan released a CD through them that is not available anywhere else.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:14 pm

Did you find it though for your sacrifice? And more importantly, did you yield to the temptation of a flippy floppy paper cuppy quad frothy char cappa? :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Starbucks do a great smoothy :) See I can be nice about them :)

Cakey: I'll skip Vancouver if you don’t mind :) I must admit I've been reading MP's show notes from the SCAA (yes all my spare time is spent reading about coffee) and I kind of warmed to him a little. Even if it is wrong most of the time he does have an opinion :)

Motoman: In San Francisco did you find the roasts tended to be that little bit darker? The kind of impression I get from folk is its much more Tisri territory. I'm not saying the darker roast is a bad thing, but perhaps that contributed to the consistency?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Steve wrote:I must admit I've been reading MP's show notes from the SCAA (yes all my spare time is spent reading about coffee) and I kind of warmed to him a little.

Oh :shock: , was he on fire? :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:23 pm

LOL thats quick I like it :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby KateM » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:13 pm

motoman wrote: I never had a bad cup of coffee in San Francisco.

Just come back and how I wish I could say the same :cry: .
Scoured New York, San Francisco and various points down the coast of California to Santa Monica on the trail of a half decent cup of coffee and failed totally. Joe on 13th Street in NY was the most drinkable and they did have the advantage of serving a jolly fine homemade lemonade.
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Return to Places to drink coffee