Espresso in Portugal - Albufeira region

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Espresso in Portugal - Albufeira region

Postby Joris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:32 am

As I'm going on a holiday to this region (Albufeira, Praia de Rocha, Praia de Oura) in october I'm wondering if there's a good cup to be had there.

Also interested in any other interesting coffee-related places to visit there.

Any info appreciated ...
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:40 am

Is this the bloke who said "no holiday for me this year" when he bought a certain beautiful coffee machine? :wink: Gosh, Albufeira brings back great memories of a trip years ago. Even back then though, I don't remember any partiularly good coffee :( , but you'll have a great time anyway :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:57 am

CakeBoy wrote:Is this the bloke who said "no holiday for me this year" when he bought a certain beautiful coffee machine? :wink:

Yep, it is... but I have to thank my parents for this, they invited me and my sister (and her husband and children) to a cosy family-holiday on their expense... they always enjoyed going on holiday with us when we were young and thought it would be nice to do that again. I'm really looking forward to it.

CakeBoy wrote:Gosh, Albufeira brings back great memories of a trip years ago. Even back then though, I don't remember any partiularly good coffee :( , but you'll have a great time anyway :P

I've been there a couple of times before (last time was 2 years ago) and I know I will be having a blast :) Too bad about the coffee though... have to take my stovetop roaster and press-pot / moka-pot I think ;)

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:12 pm

Sounds great on both counts to me :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Debbie » Fri May 26, 2006 7:51 am

Have you seen this article yet?

http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/cafestage/05-04-2006

I was recently in Lisboa and had a fantastic coffee there, along with this traditional cake called a Pastel de nata. Delicious, and went together very well. I've no idea of the name, but I'm sure I could find it again :-)

Ironically, it was what I ate at the cafe I posted of recently in Knowle, UK, and it was pretty good there too.

Debbie
<edited to put the proper name for the cake in, cos I'd just read the other lisboa article. Must check the list to see if my coffee shop find is one on the list.>
Debbie

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri May 26, 2006 8:17 am

Joris wrote
have to take my stovetop roaster and press-pot / moka-pot I think

Add green beens to your list as I believe they are difficult to obtain in Portugal.

Bertie
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Joris » Fri May 26, 2006 10:13 am

Thanks for the replies :)

Bertie, I will definitly take greens or maybe roasted beans (I'll only be there a week so they won't go too stale).

Debbie, If I make a trip to Lisboa I'll definitly check out Belém (if thats the coffeeshop you were talking about).

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Return to Places to drink coffee