belfast coffee

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

belfast coffee

Postby PD » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:39 pm

For anyone visiting N. Ireland, i spotted on my way home from Belfast last week a new coffee shop called Cafe Africa ( i think, was in a bit of a rush). I didn't get a chance to call in, but, they had a sign in the window stating that they roasted their own beans and i could see the roaster in the corner.
So, it may be worth a visit. As i no longer work in Belfast it could be several weeks again before i get the chance to visit and report back.

Look out for it if you're going into the centre of the city.
Izzo Vivi HX, Mazzer Super Jolly, Aerobie, and Pro Tamp Tamper
PD

muck

Postby PD » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:07 pm

I had a chance to go back to Belfast this week and try out Cafe Africa.
Big mistake. I was initially impressed with their roaster on display and a brand spanking, shiney 2 group LM.

I ordered a double shot. the girl appeared at my table with what looked like a weak lager. The crema, if you could call it that was like a pale scum floating on top of an awful tasting brown liquid. :shock: Yes, i know i tasted it, but i had to know how bad it was. I think my backflushes would probably taste better.

Directly opposite this cafe was a coffee shop, was another one called Clements. They are part of a chain here. Not sure if you have them in your neck of the woods.
They had a sign in the window stating UK Barista Champion 2004, 1st and 2nd place. Looking good i thought. Another disaster. The shot had slightly better crema, but it was barely warm and tasted terrible. Obviously the barista champ was no longer employed here, because this was only fit for the drain as was the shot from Cafe Africa.

So, avoid both if you're ever in Belfast.
PD

Postby Cappuccino_Monkey » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:50 pm

Hey PD

Cafe Africa is certainly atrocious - if you think their espresso was bad, you should check out their cappuccinos........

Clements is the only place in town which can prepare a proper cappuccino (with latte art an' all), but their espresso isn't the greatest. If you look at their bean hoppers, you can see why: totally over-roasted :(

At least it's a local chain, and not Starbucks....

David
Cappuccino_Monkey

Postby PD » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi David. Sorry i'm only seeing your reply now.

To be honest the occassions to the various Clements have never been great. I was in Belfast about 2 weeks ago and paid a visit to Javaman in Donegal Arcade. Top notch. Pay him a visit, i had a fantastic double shot. He certainly knows his stuff and was keen to chat when he wasn't as busy.

Pascal
PD

Return to Places to drink coffee