Munich

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Munich

Postby leecb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:28 pm

Anyone know where to drink coffee in Munich and are there any micro- roasters there? :shock: I think we have to go there for 6 months!!
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Coffee in München?

Postby zapty » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:46 am

Are you crazy?
In Munich one must inbibe the local beverage of choice: BEER and lots of it.
Only to be had in one liter steins or else be called a wimp!
Attachments
beer3.jpg
beer3.jpg (182.2 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
beer.jpg
beer.jpg (17.57 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
beer2.jpg
beer2.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
zapty

Postby Joris » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:46 am

Look at the amount of crema on those ! ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:47 am

just what I was thinking... so it's half a litre of beer, half a litre of head... seems like a pint to me :wink: we have laws about that kinda thing :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:44 pm

Froth City. "Would you like beer with your froth sir?" :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Actually, this often happens to me in France and I just know that one of these days I'm going to complain... it's even worse when they do it with 33cl glasses! Tantamount to a *$ cappa with a litre of milk for one tiny (poorly extracted shot!) :cry:
D
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:03 pm

Yes much worse in a small glass ....... one gulp for your money. Ask for "an extra shot" of beer :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:08 pm

Actually.. it is a liter of beer. The froth is extra. You don't think the German beer drinkers would let themselves get robbed of precious beer do you? And the beer is very good too.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:19 pm

er, um, what's the point in all that froth? Some is good, fine, and belgian glasses make the most of this, but coming from a nation of non-froth drinkers, I just don't see the point. This is not a criticism of German beer as I've had the good fortune to have quite a few in the past (Austrian too) :wink:
Gouezeri

Postby zapty » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Well, over here on the continent people refuse their beers if they are "flat".
When flat beer is served it is considered stale and not fresh, as all the life is out of it.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:27 pm

It seems to be a cultural thing. Over here, our beer glasses have traditionally been exactly the right size for the quantity being served, and latterly slightly larger with a line at the relevant level for the correct amount, so any amount of froth historically meant the barman was serving a short measure. When I was young (soooo long ago), a lot of local pubs served the beer looking flat with no head at all in order to fill the glass and provide a true pint. It did affect the flavour in my opinion. The newer glasses with half an inch or so of space for forth are better both functionally and aesthetically IMO.

I also remember a story of an old man from the UK that lived locally visiting the Netherlands and insisting his glass was filled to the top. He could not conceive the idea that beer was served any other way in other countries, or (at the time) of a glass that was anything other than exactly the same size as the quantity to be served. He got his wish and continued the British tradition of sloshing an overfilled beer everywhere whilst returning to his seat!

:drink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:35 pm

Good one, when visiting the UK I often wondered about the wet condition of the floors in many pubs.
By the way, that is probablya why a lot of the pubs reek of stale beer, the floors are saturated with it.
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:43 pm

Absolutely true, and why barmen make a ripping sound as they move around behind the bar. Their shoes are sticking to the floor. That brings back memories of my youth :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:01 pm

Okay I get the point, but personally, not to cast aspersions here, i can't drink my first litre of beer before 10am...
(Wo)man cannot live by beer alone
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Tea » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:39 am

If you want to drink a really good cup of coffee in munich, you have to go to "Kaffee, Espresso & Barista, Schlörstr. 11, 80634 München". The owner of the shop is Thomas Leeb, one of Germanys coffee-gurus. He has written several books about coffee and his shop is mixture of a coffeeshop and a museum.
Other good places for a decent cup are "Caffe Piemonte, Petersplatz 9", "Caffe San Pietro Petersplatz 10" and "Caffe Siena, Viktualienmarkt 8". This three caffes belong to the same family and they are really italian style with an authentic interior.
LM GS/3, Bezzera BZ99S Inox, Mazzer Mini E, Solis Scala 166 (Vac Pot, Eva Solo, AeroPress)
Tea

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee