Tebay Services on M6

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Tebay Services on M6

Postby jameso » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Hello folks

Just back from a 2 week holiday in Scotland. Thank you, we had a lovely time.

On our way up there, we stopped at the Tebay services, run by a company called Westmoreland. I wasn't going to buy a coffee - don't generally as a rule. But just past the standard cafeteria there is a little coffee bar called "The Coffee Tree" that advertised Ristretto as one of its drinks on their board outside.

That intrigued me enough to get inside and have a look. 3-group chrome finished Elektra, and a couple of Mazzers all looked promising. The barista was very non-assuming, but pulled a shot that was top notch. Redish brown, thick crema, with sweet ristretto underneath. Of course, I made sure I went and said thank you, so he knew his efforts were appreciated.

To get that good, they must keep everything clean, use fresh beans, train the guy, he must care etc. Thought I'd let you all know.

Good to be back,
James
jameso

Postby frippz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:57 pm

I can tell you, I haven't found a place like that here in Sweden yet. All the big chains like Espresso House and Wayne's Coffee must have like a 5 min training for their baristi. WC served me a latte once with foam I could have done better at home with a straw and a bad breath.

I remember this one time at a small coffee shop in Lund, the girl that was supposed to act barista was going to prepare a espresso macchiato for me. First, I didn't pay attention to what she was doing behind the counter. But when she brought me a latte macchiato, I had to have a closer look. Fine, she may just have misheard me the first time, but still.

My jaw dropped to the floor when the girl, very nonchalantly, started to prepare my macchiato while talking to her friends and just holding the tamper on top of the PF. My god! When is she going to press?, I thought. This will never end well. Surely enough, the macchiato wasn't too exciting. I never did complain, while I wish I had, it isn't customary to do so in Sweden. A typical swede just shuts his yap and keeps the criticism to him/herself. :) That is quite sad, since feedback is the only way to better your performance.
Krups killed my inner child...
frippz

Postby jameso » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:39 pm

It's rare over here too. Don't worry - it's not rows of excellent coffee shops in the UK, and rows of bad ones where you are ;)
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Postby frippz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 pm

Yeah, heh. I'm sure there is a good one somewhere. Probably far away from where I'm living right now. But why buy expensive, crappy coffe out when you can make tasty stuff at home? :)

I just had a ristretto that blew the tounge off of me. Literally almost... :lol:
Krups killed my inner child...
frippz

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:42 pm

can you PM me one of those ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:04 am

You are truly a genius James, should have tipped of Kingseven on this one.

From Ian B's coffee house magazine this interesting snippet about the scotish heat of the UK barista champs

Between first and third place is another intriguing story. Today’s second place went to Justin Elliott of Cumbria, who is reported to be a barista on the northbound Westmoreland service area…which is a very encouraging illustration of how wide the art is spreading.

Well spotted James

steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby jonlewis » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:29 pm

That paticular services has regualrly been voted as the UK's best for food and service.
jonlewis

Postby badwolf » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:33 pm

they're a local stop, for local people :lol:

and not to be missed if you're ever passing

but don't touch the precious things :twisted:

http://shrunk.net/34b02725
badwolf

Postby leecb » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:18 pm

Good God, why can I never find a motorway services place like that!!!!!
Always the same old crap where ever you go, I drive through France a lot, and it is equally appalling.
Real coffee made by someone who knows how and Farm shops at Gas Sations whatever next?
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby kingseven » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Justin was a really nice guy, and did well. Was a pretty good heat but I will post a longer report on my blog. Just finished setting up Northern Ireland (with very little help aside from Anette and my boss Steve - I am knackered!)

Will also post a report tomorrow night.

I just want to go to bed now!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby jameso » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:05 am

All we need now is for Justin to join TMC?!
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Re: Tebay Services on M6

Postby helena » Tue May 23, 2006 8:31 pm

jameso wrote:Hello folks

Just back from a 2 week holiday in Scotland. Thank you, we had a lovely time.

On our way up there, we stopped at the Tebay services, run by a company called Westmoreland. I wasn't going to buy a coffee - don't generally as a rule. But just past the standard cafeteria there is a little coffee bar called "The Coffee Tree" that advertised Ristretto as one of its drinks on their board outside.

That intrigued me enough to get inside and have a look. 3-group chrome finished Elektra, and a couple of Mazzers all looked promising. The barista was very non-assuming, but pulled a shot that was top notch. Redish brown, thick crema, with sweet ristretto underneath. Of course, I made sure I went and said thank you, so he knew his efforts were appreciated.

To get that good, they must keep everything clean, use fresh beans, train the guy, he must care etc. Thought I'd let you all know.

Good to be back,
James

I've had fab coffee there too.. often stop on our way to whereever... plus it's a fab place for interesting eatables, if you don't mind the vastly inflated prices, they sell lots of local produce in the farmers shop... it's my most favourite service station in the UK...we call it the duck place, on account of all the ducks to be observed while enjoying the coffee...
helena

Return to Places to drink coffee