Manchester UK

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Manchester UK

Postby badwolf » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:15 pm

i visited chris (PerfectPourUK) at the new spinningfields café nero this afternoon and was treated to a surprisingly fine espresso

considering what we’ve come to expect from the big chains it was quite amazing

chris really seems to have his act together and with luck his influence may encourage the other baristas to up their game

it’s well worth a visit if you’re in manchester though you might want to pm chris to check his shifts first :wink:

my only regret was having so little time and no real opportunity to chat

maybe next time 8)

update: chris has since relocated
Last edited by badwolf on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badwolf

Postby PerfectPourUK » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi John,

Was great to see you, and i must apologise profusely for not having any time to chat, it was just one of those days and Friday has become one of our busiest days!

Glad you liked the espresso, I have been experimenting with our house blend quite a bit in my Valentina and it is capable of some nice results, but sadly it's potential is rarely realised due to the nature of the preparations and under extraction in many stores.

As for upping the game, i should be starting training soon as my manager appreciates my "anal love of coffee and espresso equipment" as he described it recently :D

Thanks for the coffee John, i enjoyed some of the Cachioera Bourbon in a double ristretto this morning and it had the typical caramel toffee sweetness I have come to expect from it, your roasting is very impressive, it was just to my preference, what roasting kit are you on?

Anyway gotta run, will chat later, and again apolgies for being so busy when you came in! :(
Chris
Tools Of the Trade:
Arte Di Vittoria "La Valentina" (Semi Automatico)
Conti Valerio M.C.I. (Doserless)
Work: La Spaziale S5
Work: Mahlkönig K30ES

Currently Playing With:
Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira Canario
Brazil Daterra Cerrado
Guatemala Finca Entre Rios
PerfectPourUK

Postby blackice » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:41 pm

Can you elaborate more on your house blend John?
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby badwolf » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:01 pm

blackice wrote:Can you elaborate more on your house blend John?

was that really a question for chris? :?
badwolf

RE

Postby blackice » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:27 pm

You're right :oops:

Chris have you tried the Brazil Ipanema Bourbon or the Ipanema Dulce?
blackice

Postby PerfectPourUK » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm guessing that was a question for me, either that or blackice got confused...probably my fault!

As for our house blend im afraid I can't go into any specific details (company rules), only that it's a 12% robusta and is roasted to a "Full City Roast +"

Anyway, hope that helps
Tools Of the Trade:

Currently Playing With:
Brazil Daterra Cerrado
PerfectPourUK

Postby badwolf » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:58 pm

PerfectPourUK wrote:your roasting is very impressive, it was just to my preference, what roasting kit are you on?

chris

you're far too kind

i have a hottop which together with quality greens (thanks steve) must take much of the credit

i'm interested to have your opinion so do let me know what you make of the other three samples

i think i get some good results much of the time but i don't always manage to get the consistency i'm after

how steve manages to pull it off on a commercial level is beyond my comprehension :roll:

PerfectPourUK wrote:"anal love of coffee and espresso equipment"

i thought the anal retentive personality was a largely discredited freudian concept until i discovered TMC :lol: :lol: :lol:

john
badwolf

Postby blackice » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:43 pm

The brazil question is for you you John.
There is an importer of Brazil Ipanema "espresso" in Greece that I know, and had the pleasure to talk with. He's now one of the 3 people who provide me with quality beans. Unfortunately he doesn't give me the Ipanema quality but a very good Santos (semi-washed). I also get the Uganda beans from him. I like the balanced flavour-taste of Brazil. It makes a nice base for espresso. I wouldn't use beans of one Brazil variety for SO espresso. A blend of different Brazils though can be very good.
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby badwolf » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:42 pm

blackice wrote:have you tried the Brazil Ipanema Bourbon or the Ipanema Dulce?

i haven't seen this offered by a uk supplier

it's available from the states http://shrunk.net/36891482 but there's so much choice already i haven't the patience to wait for delivery from across the pond

blackice wrote:I wouldn't use beans of one Brazil variety for SO espresso.

i know that lots of people believe espresso is best made using a blend

i wouldn't disagree but for me single origins also do the trick

in fact i'm particularly fond of the cachoera

different strokes for different folks? 8)
badwolf

Postby PerfectPourUK » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:39 am

Hey guys,

I would tend to agree, some of the best espresso in the world I have tasted has been from blends but then I've also had some pretty fabulous SO's too. I Also like the Fazenda Rodumunho as a SO in the same vein, have you tried this? John at Roberts & Co of Manchester sells it (www.e-coffee.co.uk), great shop and a lovely man always interested to talk coffee for half an hour!

Anyway need to go get ready, how's this for a love of coffee, i'm up at 6AM on a Sunday to go and pull several hundred shots...all day..... need a :shock: fix first though, gonna go try some of John's finest in La Valentina.

Later guys,

Chris
Tools Of the Trade:

Currently Playing With:
Brazil Daterra Cerrado
PerfectPourUK

Postby badwolf » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:47 am

PerfectPourUK wrote:I also like the Fazenda Rodumunho .... John at Roberts & Co of Manchester sells it (www.e-coffee.co.uk)

chris

i notice you include 'of manchester' there

i'm sure you're aware the manchester shop has been gone for a while now

they are in fact based on a farm in mawdesley, lancashire which isn't too far from my house 8)

i've been planning a trip over there for quite a while but haven't got round to it yet

when i finally do i'll be sure to get a kilo or two of the rodumunho

simonp speaks highly of one or two of roberts & co blends

can't remember which or where i saw it :?

maybe simon could remind me :wink:

john
badwolf

Postby kingseven » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:31 pm

The one thing I will say about Nero's blend (and I know the people who roast it - but I'm not telling any more) is that it is probably the most tolerant of the commercial blends.

I've never been able to take a bag home, and the retail stuff is roasted by someone else, but to watch it be brewed and to taste it, it can take the most punishment without dropping into complete filth immediately.

How was the Nero's training? I've heard a couple of accounts - i.e. its all about tamping, nothing about grind adjustement etc - and was curious where you picked up your know-how?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby PerfectPourUK » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:24 pm

Hi Jim,

You're absolutely correct it is very fault tollerant and that's probably one of the reasons it was chosen, as the majority of "chuck it in the handle", "bang it with a plastic disc" and prey Barista's can get away with it....don't get me started......

Needless to say none of my training (at least the real WBC style stuff) was from Nero, it goes back a while, having been into coffee and espresso from the age of 13 back in the North East of england, where there a re a couple of very fine cafe's and i got to learn some things from some very knowledgeable baristas.

Nero's training at least the workshops i attended, while they didint make the grade in terms of pro barista skils, they covered the basics well, Grinding (including adjustment) Tamping (albeit badly with the on grinder tamper) and use of the machines, cleaning e.t.c and some basic tasting. 3 Days of 10-5, so it is obviously vastly superior to the other chains in that regard!
Tools Of the Trade:

Currently Playing With:
Brazil Daterra Cerrado
PerfectPourUK

Postby kingseven » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:24 pm

PerfectPourUK wrote:Needless to say none of my training (at least the real WBC style stuff) was from Nero, it goes back a while, having been into coffee and espresso from the age of 13 back in the North East of england, where there a re a couple of very fine cafe's and i got to learn some things from some very knowledgeable baristas.

Anyone I know? How North East are we talking here?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby PerfectPourUK » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Hey again Jim!

Newcastle-upon-Tyne to be exact, I've added somewhere that serves really good coffee if you get that far!
Tools Of the Trade:

Currently Playing With:
Brazil Daterra Cerrado
PerfectPourUK

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee