A drinkable shot, right on my doorstep

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A drinkable shot, right on my doorstep

Postby simonp » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:58 pm

I meant to post about this a couple of weeks back, but forgot.

Whilst shopping in my home town (Devizes) we got peckish so went in to one of the many coffee shops in town, the Blue Onion, for a bit of cake and a drink. I had my usual bottle of ginger beer (always avoid coffe out), but as I had got cold and wet walking in to town to meet Jess she (unprompted) bought me an espresso to warm/cheer me up.

I looked at the cup in trepidation, but what was this? some crema, and it was brown/red :!: To add to that it was about the right volume for a single. I tasted it, and it was not bad, a little stale, but not thin and burnt like so many. I looked over at the grinder hopper to find dry beans in the hopper.
This was no wonderfull espresso, but the 2nd only drinkable shot I have ever had outside of TMC related home. It did seem that, unless it as a total fluke, that it had been made by someone who at least knew something about what an espresso should be. I might go in again and see if it was a one off, or I was lucky and I caught the beans when they were still slightly fresh.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:10 am

It's always a pleasant surprise to get a half decent cup out and about - unfortunatley also all to rare - and as you say Simon, most of us tend to avoid espresso based drinks when outside the home for that very reason :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:16 am

I am sooo lucky!!! A friend runs a few coffee shops and he uses beans that are roasted on Wednesdays and delivered on Thursday every other week. He really knows a good coffee and even has asked my opinion on his brews. I am going to suggest that he looks into roasting to order in one of his shops. Could be a good opening for him. In fact I am off there in the morning for a lovely americano :)
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:09 am

Maybe you could offer to supply him from the whirlpop Matt :wink: . Have a ristretto for me whilst you are there mate :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:23 am

Ohh I could get my own cottage industry up and running and get myself a proper job :wink:
espressomattic

Return to Places to drink coffee