Coming to Amsterdam

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby robbie » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks Marcy.
Jo, I'll try to get there Monday if I can.
We fly back from Schipol at about 3 in the afternoon so maybe I can get over Monday morning.
Cheers
Robbie
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

Postby robbie » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:18 pm

Jo
Sorry I missed you though I did enjoy an espresso on Sunday afternoon at Brandmeester's, say thanks to the guys from us. It was such a beautiful day in Amsterdam that 3 of our group walked over to Vondel Park to laze in the sun on the grass for a while. We tried to find a canal boat back to Damrak but all we could find were round trips so we walked again, that was a mistake it was too warm and none of us normally walk further than the car.
We didn't (well there was a group of 5 so some wanted last minute shopping) find enough time on Monday morning to get over :( .
Hope you enjoy working at Brandmeester's, very clean shop and a good range of Espresso machines and accessories to look at. I liked the roaster in the corner.

Marcie
Went a couple of times to Coffee Connection, good coffee both times, a guy called Dave on Saturday and a lady whose name I didn't get on Monday.

Thanks to both of you for the help in finding the coffee bars.
We had a great time in Amsterdam again, even with the train strike on Friday when we arrived. It made for and interesting journey to start the holiday.

Cheers
Robbie
Mazzer Mini, Renaka Techno V2M ... that's about it, except the Bodum. For now anyway ...
robbie

Postby Jo2 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:08 pm

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay and espresso's...
Maybe see you another time...
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby wallisj » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:03 pm

Hi all...just joined .....

I can say that the Coffee@Company on Leidestraat does nice ristretto...i use their beans in my incanto sirius too...Use Hasbean at home in uk.

Does anyone know where a decent espresso can be had in Schiphol? All the Sagefredo Zanetti inside seem to be dire!

Thanks
Jamie
wallisj

Postby Beanie » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:32 am

Sorry, Jamie. A lot of spots in Schiphol use super-auto, so consistency is there. Unfortunately, it's consistently not great... at least the restaurant-type places I've been to. Nothing great at the hotel or the restaurant on the way to the parking garage either. I, for one, haven't found anything promising in the arrival nor departure halls. Instead, I do recommend having a back/body massage they offer in one of the departure halls. :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby wallisj » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:14 pm

Yeah...the aquamassage is fab...had one in sheffield when i lived there and me and the missus went there once a week...its great....
wallisj

Postby Sammy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Staying in The Grand today and tomorrow. The coffee is not so 'grand'. In fact it is undrinkable. The probably got it out of the canal in front of the hotel and boiled it ...

Anyway I am on the Ouwezijds, so with the two places described above just around the corner on Nieuwezijds, I should be able to find myself a decent coffee tomorrow morning.

Sam.
QuickMill AP
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:40 pm

Sadly... I overslept and had to dash off to my meetings. No Amsterdam quality coffee for me this time. :(

Back in Brussels now.
Sammy

Postby wilco » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:07 am

Maybe too late but not useless....the first ever barista party that took place in Holland (jULY 5TH 2005) was held in the newest branch of the Coffee Company at the Nieuwe Doelenstraat check it out! It was nice to play with the Mirage there and meet up with (surpisingly numerous) Dutch Baristas (Amongst them the champion and the rest of the top ten, and also Rose, the runner up, who will be actually representing Holland at the next world finals as Christina pulled back- sideways: the top 3 of Dutch barista's is made up out of WOMEN!) Whenever in Utrecht (as that's my little town) try Broodnodig at daytime (Mariaplaats) for some swedish importbarista geeks and homebaked bread and pastry....or Restaurant Luce (my personal barista theatre, just around the corner at Visschersplein 75) for some fine dining (modern Italian style) with cocktails before and Latte Art after and some serious foodies in between (although you might just come and sit at the bar forgetting you're in a small town ;)
wilco

Postby Teme » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:08 pm

I'm a bit late into this thread, but just thought that I'd thank everyone for the tips. I popped into Amsterdam a while back a managed to have the time to check out a few spots:

Coffee@Company on both Haarlemmerdijk and Beethoovenstraat - I found a better cup at the Haarlemmerdijk location. The straight shot there was ok whereas the cappa I had at the Beethoovenstraat shop was pretty poor.

Het Koffie Cultuur Centrum was an interesting place but the coffee wasn't great (still drinkable, though).

The final stop for me was Brandmeesters where I actually had a good cup - the best I found during my two days in Amsterdam.

Again, thanks for the tips!

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby wallisj » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:15 pm

I am a regular at brandmeester villa arena and buy my beans from them on a friday (new stock)....been using them for a couple of months now. Very nice
wallisj

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee