Brandmeester's, Korte Jansstraat 5, Utrecht, NL

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Brandmeester's, Korte Jansstraat 5, Utrecht, NL

Postby Beanie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:13 pm

Had to go to Utrecht yesterday, so decided to include Brandmeester's in the trip (with 15 minutes left before closing).

Definitely retail with espresso bar as a side atmosphere. Bought a knock box, .3L frothing jug finally (been looking all over for both for months) and some capp. cups. Ended up spending over 100 there, so when we ordered our Espresso, it was on the house. Hallelujah!

It was too hot, and seemed, to my untrained tongue, a bit sour with a tinge of bitterness. Didn't taste the "hazelnut" notes nor sweetness as described on the board. Immediately after drinking, the memory of drinking a canned orange juice is what kept popping in my mind - that soury aftertaste that starts the salivary glands going. I mean, that's not what acidity is, is it?

So when she asked if I enjoyed the espresso (which was prepared by some other guy), I said, "Well, I find it a bit too hot and there's a bit of sourness to it". She said: "Well, the Dutch like their coffee very hot". Of course, default back to the Dutch saying of "Coffee must be hot and it must be wet".

Then I had a few more questions...
Me: When were the beans roasted?
She: We get them delivered fresh every week.
Me: But when were they roasted?
She: It's delivered every Thursday
Me: Yeah, but when were they roasted?
She: Oh, they're roasted on Monday, I think, and then we get it on Thursday.
Me: Ahhh, then you just top up the the bins with the new stuff?
She: Oh no, we empty the bins before we refill them.

So what started out like a story of misguided notions of bean freshness, ended up surprisingly nice, after all :)

Oh... and when the guy was making our drinks, I said: "Nice machine" (about the 2-group LM). Then I looked over to the Mahlkonig grinders and realised each was a 2-bean split hopper and exclaimed: "Oh! Is this the K60ES?", having never seen one real life. He looked at the machine, looked at the front, then shrugged. Well, anyway, it was, and I didn't bother asking any more questions.

The good news is: the PFs were in the group the whole time before. Steam wands looked clean. Ground to order. Shot took about 26 seconds (by my count).

Anyway, although our free espresso (which would have otherwise cost 1.60 ea I think) was not as nice as ours at home, it certainly didn't belong to our "absolutely disgusting" section of places to drink espresso in NL.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby dliefbroer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:06 am

My girlfriend went to Brandmeesters for me. As I'm waiting for my grinder, I still let the shop grind my beans. My girlfriend explained what type of machine it was but when she got home I tried the beans:
They we're "cut" to almost "snelfilter" (help my out :)) grind dry. Can anyone describe a decent grind to my except granulated suger, because that can't be true in Holland (don't know about other countries, but over here granulated sugar is very rough).

I think one of the Dutch members like Bean_Believer can give me a better example.
dliefbroer

Postby Aadje » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:03 am

snelfilter = dripcoffee = way to coarse grind = certainly not as tasty as a good espresso (read: mokkapot) ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby chemistone » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:24 pm

First of all, welcome to dliefbroer! What equipment do you own?

I have to admit brandmeesters is my key supplier at the moment. Hope to start roasting in the near future. It is not very good, but not bad a well. They know what fineness of grind is required for which machine, depending on the person behind the counter. When you have the right one, they ask what machine you have and what brand. Then they know how to grind the coffee. My wife bought beans to use at home and a small pack of grinded coffee for my sister. I instructed my wife with the type of machine my sister was using. After two minutes she came to the car again and asked, is that a 4 of 5 setting. I was not expecting that, from my previous visits I got the impression that their knowledge level is quite good. Anyway anything with a decent pump, starting with rancillio silvia , ECM botticelli and higher needs beans grinded at the 4 setting (and they should know!).

About the coffee, the last time I had coffee there, I had the impression the water of which the coffee was made was too cold and that the coffee was overextracted, time right, too much water.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby dliefbroer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:32 pm

I'll update my signature to include my machine. But it's a ECM Giotto (not premium) that's been revised by yours truly: New pressurestat, new pump (48W Ulka), new valves inside the E61 group. Only thing left is making it quite, it's plumbed in so I think the lack of a water tank make the whole housing just a bit too light.

I'll tell them I need a 4 grind next time. Hope to have my Mazzer in September and a Cafe Gene in december.

I allready discussed my habbits with Steve from Hasbean, I have serious condition called pre-upgraditus, it means that before my mind settles on a certain item, it automatically moves to the next before I even owned the previous ;).
ECM Giotto Classic - Mazzer Mini E - Gene Cafe - Bodum French Press - Bialetti 1 cup Moka Pot - Lava Deluxe
dliefbroer

Postby chemistone » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:49 pm

A grinder is a real must for such a machine. It is difficult to produce consistent shots without grinding your own beans, it was the best investment in making coffee I'd done so far. It is the difference between reasonable coffee and good coffee, as you will find out in September.

I suffer from the same condition, I avoid talking to Steve and hope it will fade. ;) (doesn't help btw)

Sounds that you had to do some serious work at your Giotto. Did you buy it second hand?

You updated the wrong signature, there are two places where you can update your signature...

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby dliefbroer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:08 pm

Yes I bought it second hand. Shop said it was refurbished. Outside was pretty clean. But the inside wasn't nice to look at, if I would have complained to the shop they would have fixed it, but I enjoy doing it myself. Had some great help from the Dutch distributor of ECM.

Wish I could do for a week without it, then I would insulate the boiler and give it an even more thorough cleaning.

Some pictures are available at http://www.coffeegeek.nl/v/Koffie/ not that much at the moment, everytime I do something I have to borrow the camera from a friend.
ECM Giotto Classic - Mazzer Mini E - Gene Cafe - Bodum French Press - Bialetti 1 cup Moka Pot - Lava Deluxe
dliefbroer

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Welcome to TMC dliefbroer :D . I am afraid that pre-upgraditis is a rather terminal condition. Hope you have a large kitchen :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby chemistone » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:40 pm

The Micave (Dutch distributer) guys are great to work with. I have some very good experiences with them as well, an example for others. Yesterday I bought insulation material, I hope to do it somewhere next week.

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Aadje » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:46 pm

chemistone wrote:Yesterday I bought insulation material, I hope to do it somewhere next week.

Yesterday . . . all my troubles seemed so far away . . .

Good luck installing :P
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:34 pm

Hi dliefbroer! Image

The only cure for pre-upgraditis is to fulfill all of your wishes immediately!
bruceb

Postby dliefbroer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Thanks all. With all your kind wishes I'm sure my illness wil not go away. Thanks :cry:
Last edited by dliefbroer on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dliefbroer

Postby Aadje » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:06 pm

What illness? There is no illness. Just upgraderitis, and that makes you a superior human being :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Beanie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Welcome dliefbroer :) I never bought any coffee from Brandmeester's... but how about asking them to grind it as fine as what comes out of the Mahlkönig? Ooohhh, September til you get a grinder - is it on back order right now? :( What did you get, btw?

Actually, perhaps Jo2 will know be able to give you a much better (specific) answer as she works for them? Though I haven't seen her posting in a while :(
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby dliefbroer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:13 am

I'm hoping to get a Mazzer Mini Manual. It's on "special" birthday order :)

My girlfriend knows which one I want, now she has to find enough people to sponsor the gift...

And I don't think as fine as possible with a mahlkonig is going to work, because all mahlkonigs are capable of turkish grind. Think I'll choke my machine with that...

Analysed my puck last few times and I guess I need to review my tamping because I can see a hole in the side of the puck (side channeling?).

Or should I open a new thread for this? Seems like I'm taking over this one.
dliefbroer

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee