Leicester or East Midlands?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Leicester or East Midlands?

Postby skirk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:22 pm

Anyone know of anywhere I can get a good espresso from in the East Midlands (preferably Leicester)? I'm completely new to the world of good coffee and need to get some decent shots to compare with my own efforts (and just to enjoy of course). :)
skirk

Postby jumper » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:25 pm

it seems there is no good espresso available in the east midlands i will avoid the region next time i'm in england :wink:
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby phil » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:18 pm

You know guys but I had an almost acceptable shot from a motorway service station (Leicester Forest East, Southbound) about a year ago. To say I was shocked would not be exaggerating.

The machine in question was built into a cupboard and was a superauto. I was in dire need of caffeine after a long drive and would probably have been grateful for instant - but this stuff was actually almost acceptable. I was stunned and so were my family (you know the scene, "what's this, Dad actually likes the coffee from a motorway service station???!!! :oops:

However I did have a very nice shot in Glasgow recently. I was lucky to be able to meet up with Richard ("cleverdic") and Mark ("marks") at Tinderbox, the Matthew Algie place in the West End.

The first shot I had was actually excellent - not the sort of thing I would have blended myself but actually really nice - my palate said lots of Monsooned Malabar, but fruit and funk in balance, extremely drinkable. The second and third shots were slightly less good - I thought they tasted slightly "dirty" as if the machine would have benefited from a quick backflush with clear water - but nonetheless they were both *much* better than anything I could have expected to drink anywhere else I've been in the UK, apart from my own kitchen and that of fellow members.

BTW, many thanks to Richard for setting up a chat with the manager of the Tinderbox chain - a good chap and very interesting to talk to. Also congratulations to Mark, not only for being a fine chap (as are all TMC members I've met so far) but also the father of two really nice kids who sat there as good as gold while the three guys talked coffee stuff. I bet my two wouldn't have been that well behaved at that age! :)

Anyway, sorry to drag this thread so far off topic. Must be the cask strength Glen Scotia I'm drinking :roll:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby wallisj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 am

There is a shop in beeston in nottingham. Not tried it yet but they do speak highly of themselves ;)

http://www.coffee-beans.co.uk
wallisj

Postby PyroGyro » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:03 pm

Hi All, Newbie PyroGyro here ;)

I used to comute each day from Derbyshire to Leicester, the train station at Leciester had a superb offer on a "quad" (4-shot espresso) which was only £1.40 ... I only stuck the job for a few months and must have averaged about 4 hours sleep per night... fantastico :) I introduced myself as "TooMuchCoffeeMan" and the guys would greet me each day with a grin, sometimes preparing mine ahead of others in the queue ;) They know how to look after the dedicated and faithful.

PyroGyro
PyroGyro

Postby NottmSteve » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 am

I have had a few cups at "The Bean" (see link above). I was impressed. The staff are all keen to help, although they look more like students earning a living than Barista's with untold knowledge...
I was offered a glass of water with my espresso too, which was a welcome sign of interest in the whole experience.
And, you get a loyalty card just in case you like the place. I've since moved from working in the area and can't comment on the current house cup.
It's certainly the best place I have been to in the Nottingham area, and it offers a good variety of normal coffee beans for the curious.
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:55 pm

A good one for the east Mids is the 'Blend'

Market Harborough, Kettering, Rothwell..(Where) :?

Fresh Roasted, never more than 21 days old, usually fresher. SHipped in on Thursdays from a Roastery. Very nice vibe, Knowledgable boss who cares about coffee.

Best coffe in my area...well next to mine of course :lol:

I have suggested that he gets into roasting small batches as well....

Matt
espressomattic

Postby rteasdale » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:42 pm

Coffee Aroma in Lincoln does fantastic coffee (only a little bit biased as it's mine!)
rteasdale

Return to Places to drink coffee