My only dreadful coffee experience in 4 years.

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

My only dreadful coffee experience in 4 years.

Postby Richard » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Just had a pal return from Sri Lanka, she's a regular visitor to our home and looks-forward to my coffee. Being such a lovely person she gave me a gift of coffee from Sri Lanka.

Not much to go on by the packet, it's called "Pure Ceylon" and the word "Coffee" is used to describe the contents of the packet but when I opened the packet it smelt like tobacco and is ground so fine I really don't know what to do with it other than bin it.

I figure if my coffee smells good after roasting, then grinding, it's going to be a good cup and I've never been disappointed by what my nose told me.

I've just had another sniff-and-look-see, yes, it looks like snuff and smells like coffee. I'm not taking the chance so it's now in the bin. It's been a bad year, I recently poured 4 bottles of wine down the sink, life's far to short.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

RE: My only dreadful coffee experience in 4 years.

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 pm

I wonder what it really might be - perhaps it is tobacco :shock:. It's always disappointing when an interesting pack of coffee from somewhere far awa ends up smelling 'different'.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: My only dreadful coffee experience in 4 years.

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:34 pm

CakeBoy wrote: It's always disappointing when an interesting pack of coffee from somewhere far awa ends up smelling 'different'.

I suppose I was warned by the lady who wanted to bring me coffee back, "Is the coffee-plant in someway connected to the Tobacco plant" was the question she asked before giving me the gift package. She also remembered my early trials with Monsoon-Malabar. ( I gave-up blaming it on my roasting and grinding rather than that someone could produce a coffee with such a distinct flavour)

Out of my favoured beans I can always do a roast that doesn't work for me, I prefer medium roasts with the beans I'm using but I do remember beans that didn't work-well unless you roasted to dark-and-shiny, that's all down to taste. for the life of me I can't imagine anyone being happy drinking a drink extracted from snuff.

This year I would would like to try another bean, I'm steady with the Brazil Perfetio and El-Salvador Finca-La-Fany, go-on, give me a push.

Happy-New-Year.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping