5 bag survival pack

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

5 bag survival pack

Postby PhilT » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:51 am

Feeling pleased with myself that we just received Steve's 5 bag filter starter pack. Britain now "at a standstill" with snow but enough coffee in the cupboard to get us to Christmas. Hooray!

Anyone running low?

P.S. Also note new espresso starter pack just added from Steve
La Spaziale S1 Mini, Mazzer Mini E, Aeropress, Kyocera hand grinder
PhilT

RE: 5 bag survival pack

Postby dr.chris » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:06 am

4 large bags arrived from Monmouth this week so we are good :)
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 am

20" of snow here, but about 60 kg of greens and 4 roasters available, so not too worried. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:23 pm

No food mind ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: 5 bag survival pack

Postby bruceb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:56 pm

CakeBoy wrote:No food mind ;)

Food? Who needs food when you have fresh coffee beans? :shock: :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby qwerty69 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Yep, running low here. I'm just about finished my last and was about to reorder but haven't had any post in about two weeks so I'm unsure if I should just hold off.

If only I could make it to work then I could pick some up on route home. The problem is I can't get to work let alone get back home again.

Here's hoping the snow goes away, even just a little 'cause I really need to get back to the office.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:17 am

Just ordered a starter pack from hasbean to try out the new blends.

Also ordered some from jamesgourmet.

Let's see what arrives first :-)
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby dr.chris » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Do you realise that here in Swansea it has snowed for maybe 5 or 10 minutes during the whole cold snap?
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby qwerty69 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Just received my Hasbean espresso blend starter pack. Now the only question is which to try first?

Any thoughts?
qwerty69

Postby GMRK » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Ordered Monday:

Hasbean: 4x Xmas Espresso Blend

James Gourmet Coffee: 1x Winter Hoard, 1x Brambly Espresso Blend, 2x Formula 6 Espresso Blend

Orders arrived yesterday and today, coffee stored in freezer for Xmas. Might pick up some Monmouth espresso blend if I'm in London next week.

Thanks for great service HB/JGC.
GMRK

Postby daveyb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:48 pm

[quote="GMRK"]Ordered Monday:

Hasbean: 4x Xmas Espresso Blend

James Gourmet Coffee: 1x Winter Hoard, 1x Brambly Espresso Blend, 2x Formula 6 Espresso Blend

Orders arrived yesterday and today, coffee stored in freezer for Xmas. Might pick up some Monmouth espresso blend if IOrders arrived yesterday and today, coffee stored in freezer for Xmas.

Why the freezer? Unopened it will survive a good month or so in the one way bags. What are ypu adding by freezing it?
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby bruceb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:44 pm

I guess it's just a matter of personal taste, but I have never known any coffee to last a month after roasting whether frozen or not.
bruceb

Postby qwerty69 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Thought I'd try the Blake Espresso blend first but will need to keep dialing it in as the results I'm getting are not consistant.

Initial shots were pooring way too quickly however after making some adjustments the next shot was an unintentional ristretto poor as it was taking way too long.

I'll keep trying but as it stands I'm looking forward to moving on to one of the other blends that I received, hopefully I'll achieve more consistant results with the Jailbreak.
qwerty69

Postby GMRK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:54 pm

daveyb wrote:Why the freezer? Unopened it will survive a good month or so in the one way bags. What are ypu adding by freezing it?

For convenience mainly, being able to order a few bags at a time and always having some on hand, I've been caught out by late Xmas deliveries before.

There are a few threads about the merits or otherwise of freezing coffee but I'm happy to do it as the benefits outweigh any potential negatives for me.

I'm currently drinking some Black Cat a friend brought back from LA for me a couple of months ago, roast date is 21 Oct and even after the less than ideal conditions during the flight back and being stored in the freezer I'm still pulling shots with nice mottled crema.

I also like being able to keep a few different coffees and decant around 150g of whichever I fancy at a time into an airtight container.

I'm sure I've seen sealed bags of beans continue to de-gass when thawed if they've been frozen very fresh when delivered, unless it's something else causing the bags to swell.
GMRK

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Took a while because of the weather but I've just received my coffee from James Gourmet and can say it was well worth the wait.

Loving the Formula 6 Beans so much that I've had two doubles in close succession since 9pm.
qwerty69

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping