Kicker

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kicker

Postby guy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Has anyone tried the new Hasbean "Kicker" blend yet? Is it really "difficult" to brew well, as claimed on the hasbean web site? "Difficult" and "expensive" are putting me off so far...
guy

RE: Kicker

Postby 2drips » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 pm

I tried Kicker at Harlequin in York last weekend, loved it, and picked up some excellent advice from Gordon. I can't comment about how difficult it is to pull an espresso but I have had some success with an aeropress (which I wasn't expecting)
2drips

RE: Kicker

Postby dunkster » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I actually found it easier than the Jailbreak but that could have been pure fluke. Definitely the one for me out of his new ones.
dunkster

Re: RE: Kicker

Postby guy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 pm

dunkster wrote:I actually found it easier than the Jailbreak but that could have been pure fluke. Definitely the one for me out of his new ones.

I bought a bag of each a week or so ago, and I agree: the Jailbreak seemed really fussy, not to mention changing taste every day, but the Kicker rocked once I decided how I liked it --- a very fizzy, sherberty, lemonadey ristretto. Seems to me that the closer it is to "normal", the more you can taste the Yirgacheffe, which I don't particularly like as espresso.

Having dialed in, every shot was the same until the end of the bag. If it were cheaper I'd be ordering more straight away.
guy

Postby Bombcup » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:33 pm

I love this blend, been playing with it today. Rested 5 days, low dose, let a bit of blonde in. The effervesence is awesome, a real eye opener and totally delicious. I even made a crappy video during a quiet spell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrd9LDHk ... r_embedded
Bombcup

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Love the concave sweeping action with the grinder lid. Wish we had seen the lovely shot at the end. Nice pour.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby sicinius » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Fantastic decor. Right up my street. I'll be in next time in the vicinity
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping