Panama Esmerelda 2010 - Aeropress Brewing suggestions?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Panama Esmerelda 2010 - Aeropress Brewing suggestions?

Postby Jbdeq » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi all, first post here....

Just came back from NYC and managed to get a jar of this stuff from Stumptown's own coffee shop out there.

Paid a hefty amount which I subsequently realised in relation to how much you pay per cup in most places here (for significantly inferior coffee) wasn't too bad.

As I currently own only a Silvia (soon to be upgraded) and an Aeropress I am limited as to how to brew it.

My first attempt with the Aeropress was pretty good but subsequent attempts have proved less successful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on Aeropress techniques for such a blend?
Jbdeq

RE: Panama Esmerelda 2010 - Aeropress Brewing suggestions?

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:34 am

Welcome to TMC Jbdeq :D

Which method(s) did you use when you made the Aeropress brews? Esme really suits the Chemex and Hario type cloth pour overs, so I would be looking to reproduce that with a longer style Aeropress brew if you don't have some sort of pour over brewer.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:06 am

I've got some Esme to roast actually (Steph, t'es de retour à la maison?).
But, as Mark says, you really want to focus on clean brewing methods, to bring out the floral and jasmine tea like qualities. It's an outstanding cup, but I wouldn't expect it to be to everybody's tastes.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby MW_SW19 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:36 am

Do you own a filter machine? If so modify that and create a filter cone - it's what I did before I bought a ceramic one. You will probably get a decent enough result that way.
MW_SW19

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:16 am

With the AP, I'd rinse the filter thoroughly, go for a relatively low dose, water temp not too high, and as Mark says, go for a longer brew time (good couple of minutes), using the inverted AP technique. It may require just a tad of dilution after that. Obviously, trying to nail a brew technique with such a special coffee is always going to be a little difficult as you wont want to waste any to get it right.
I suppose you could always pick up a V60 cheap and use that?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Re: RE: Panama Esmerelda 2010 - Aeropress Brewing suggestion

Postby MKSwing » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 am

Gouezeri wrote:I've got some Esme to roast actually (Steph, t'es de retour à la maison?).

I'm always open for you, epecially when you bring a geisha. 8)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

RE: Re: RE: Panama Esmerelda 2010 - Aeropress Brewing sugges

Postby Jbdeq » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
My attempts so far (with the inverted method) suggest a dose of around 16 grams as opposed to higher doses I was intially using having looked at suggested techniques on another website detailing competition winning methods.
Also using a temperature of around 75c seems to have brought out the grea tea/floral flavours quite a bit.
I shall try brewing longer than the 30 secs or so I am using at the moment as Gouezeri has suggested although I am not cautious not to enhance the slight bitter taste I still am trying to get rid of.
Jbdeq

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping