Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK online

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK online

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but although I do really love the coffees I can buy from UK roasters I am also really interested in sampling what's on offer from roasters in other countries (US, Europe, Australia, anywhere really).

If you have bought online from roasters in other countries it would be great to share your experience so we can build some kind of list of roasters who ship internationally.

Maybe something simple like Roaster, Country shipped from, Shipping Cost, delivery time then any other info you would like to share.

Obviously the vast majority of the time I'll buy from the UK but every now I would overlook the postage cost for something really special.

Many thanks,

Chris
Chris

RE: Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK online

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Chris,
Think about the time factor. It will be very difficult to get delivery in less than the time in which the coffee will go stale. The roaster will have to get the coffee in the mail the same day he roasts it. I don't know what the situation is in the UK, but here in Germany the customs will grab any roasted coffee and by the time they get around to sending a bill for the customs and tax (does the UK have a coffee tax?) 10-14 days can go by.
This is the reason that many of us do our own roasting. Greens are no problem, regardless of their place of origin. If it takes 2 months to get them it's no problem.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK online

Postby kingseven » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 pm

We've bought coffees (or usually traded like for like) with roasters around the world.

With shipping it has either been really quick (up to 5 days), or lost forever! (I blame Royal Mail for this though!) Shipping is expensive though, and a sufficient headache that not a lot of US roasters seem to be up for it. However - I know the guys in Ireland have organised group buys that has helped cut shipping costs and make it worth the time and effort for exporting roaster.

I'd start in Europe - Sweden, Norway and Denmark have loads of good roasters who ship quickly and you shouldn't have any customs issues either.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Re: RE: Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK online

Postby MKSwing » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 am

bruceb wrote:Chris,
Think about the time factor. It will be very difficult to get delivery in less than the time in which the coffee will go stale. The roaster will have to get the coffee in the mail the same day he roasts it. I don't know what the situation is in the UK, but here in Germany the customs will grab any roasted coffee and by the time they get around to sending a bill for the customs and tax (does the UK have a coffee tax?) 10-14 days can go by.
This is the reason that many of us do our own roasting. Greens are no problem, regardless of their place of origin. If it takes 2 months to get them it's no problem.

This is true if you buy outside EU. But inside, there are no problems, at least I never had one. Of course, your shipping can be lost but in general, there are no problem and the delivery time if 4/5 days.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

RE: Re: RE: Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK online

Postby dsc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:28 am

Hi guys,

yup, EU isn't bad, US can be and usually takes around 10 days to get the stuff, depending on the customs office.

Scandinavia has got interesting coffees/roasters, but shipping can be sometimes insanly expensive so it's best to buy more and share with coffee friends/geeks.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 pm

MKSwing wrote:Of course, your shipping can be lost but in general, there are no problem and the delivery time if 4/5 days.

Same time as it takes to go from 22 to 29 then :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Rujir » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:39 pm

You are too spoiled guys. :lol: For me is ordering abroad the only way how to get to fine coffee. I regularly order from UK, from Czech republic and now I want to try Austria. Generally, everybody who is serious in this bussiness sends the coffee the same day it was roasted and it usually doesn't take longer than 3-4 days. (OK, from Britain it's usually 5 days).
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

Postby MKSwing » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Gouezeri wrote:
MKSwing wrote:Of course, your shipping can be lost but in general, there are no problem and the delivery time if 4/5 days.

Same time as it takes to go from 22 to 29 then :wink:

29 is inside EU ??? :twisted:
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks for sharing everyone... Another thing that would be useful to note is if the roaster has an english version of their online shop. I would really love to buy from The Coffee Collective for example but I don't know my Idido Lysristet from my Idido Mørkristet :lol:

If I had to guess Lysristet is Light Roast and Mørkristet dark but it's only a guess from checking their main site which is English. I just managed to complete there shopping cart and their Espresso blend is 36 euro for a kilo. Betalingsgebyr is 3,30 euro and Forsendelsesgebyr 16,80 euro. So the total including delivery is 56,10 euro for a kilo.

I also now know that Navn is name and By is City in Danish, woo hoo! :lol:
Chris

Postby kingseven » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:18 pm

All of the Coffee Collective (and Scandinavians in general) speak disturbingly good english - drop them an email!

kingseven

Re: RE: Re: RE: Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK onli

Postby Rujir » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:05 pm

kingseven wrote:All of the Coffee Collective (and Scandinavians in general) speak disturbingly good english - drop them an email!

And did you all know that James speaks disturbingly good czech? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Buying coffee roasted outside of the UK

Postby kingseven » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:18 pm

haha! Google helps!

kingseven

Postby Bombcup » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:01 pm

OT, I got my hands on some Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley from Johan & Nyström in Sweden today. That shit is awesome, super sweet and super clean natural. The brewed cup was like strawberry and apricot jam and the flat white was strawberry ice-cream. Funny how it turned up out of the blue on the same day we tasted our first trial roast of a new Ethiopian natural which was just as exciting.

Nice to try some overseas roasters from time to time.
Bombcup

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:45 am

We were looking at ordering some coffee from the west of Canada a while back but the shipping costs to get it here whilst still relatively fresh were huge and we put it on hold.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for all the advice guys. Shipping costs are prohibitive for sure :cry: The group buy is a great idea, also thank you for the insight regarding shipping times James. I'll be sure to get in touch via email in future before making an order :D

That Misty Valley from Johan & Nyström sounds fantastic, I've never heard of them before so thanks for adding that one to the list Bombcup.

I'm starting to weigh up the cost of delivery with the actual cost of flights to enjoy at the source and bring some back with me :D
Chris

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping