Who's Still Roasting?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Who

Postby Sarion » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I`ve been away from the forum (sometimes taking a peek) but still happily roasting on my Gene! I`ve had it for over 5 years now, probably doing 50-60 roasts a year, so 250-300 roasts and no issues at all! :-) Only real maintenance has been taking apart and cleaning out the filter box every so often, as it gets clogged up. You can tell by it not reaching high temperatures that cleaning is overdue.
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Who

Postby frcn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:28 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Randy, please keep us updated as soon as you are able to reveal more and have the review unit. I so wish Hottops were once again readily available in the UK. Perhaps you could poke them in the ribs about that for us? :)

If only it was that easy. The factory is very independent. I suppose that is at least partly cultural. I give what recommendations I can through Hottop USA (Michael, who has had huge influence which can hadly be exagerated in making the K and P models what they are today). Some of my ideas get used. Others, not so much. I expect one here sometime before the beginning of April I hope, but don't bet the hamster on it. But it is near-ready to go into production (all hardware design tested and ready) and they are finalizing the electronic control and programming now.

I tested a prototype, stand-alone smoke ejector adapted to the KN8828 (which will be the design built into the new roaster) and it worked so well I wanted to keep it. If it works that well on the new one we should be able to roast indoors with a vent hose (included...?) out a window.
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 am

frcn wrote:... I expect one here sometime before the beginning of April I hope, but don't bet the hamster on it. But it is near-ready to go into production (all hardware design tested and ready) and they are finalizing the electronic control and programming now.

I think I am looking forward to it almost as much as you are Randy. :wink: Thank you for keeping us informed.

frcn wrote:I tested a prototype, stand-alone smoke ejector adapted to the KN8828 (which will be the design built into the new roaster) and it worked so well I wanted to keep it. If it works that well on the new one we should be able to roast indoors with a vent hose (included...?) out a window.

I always roast indoors using this simple cereal container duct to turn the airflow leaving the rear fan and direct it to an overhead cooker hood.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Who

Postby Joris » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Still roasting with my 1kg homebuilt beast... regular complaints regarding smoke from the firedepartment ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 am

Sarion, Joris, so good to see you both :) Glad to hear the homebuilt beast is alive and well too!

I seem to be in the also very excited about the Hottop group alongside GB and shall be watching with great interest :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 am

GreenBean wrote:
frcn wrote:... I expect one here sometime before the beginning of April I hope, but don't bet the hamster on it. But it is near-ready to go into production (all hardware design tested and ready) and they are finalizing the electronic control and programming now.

I think I am looking forward to it almost as much as you are Randy. :wink: Thank you for keeping us informed.

frcn wrote:I tested a prototype, stand-alone smoke ejector adapted to the KN8828 (which will be the design built into the new roaster) and it worked so well I wanted to keep it. If it works that well on the new one we should be able to roast indoors with a vent hose (included...?) out a window.

I always roast indoors using this simple cereal container duct to turn the airflow leaving the rear fan and direct it to an overhead cooker hood.

I'm away from the forum for ages and what do I see when I return....a great idea which I intend to steal and claim as my own. I've been looking for something which will prevent the smoke build-up in my kitchen when I use my ancient Hottop and this fits the bill. It has to better than taking all that time and trouble cleaning the filters albeit this is done every five years or so.
Plaudits to you Sir.....this isn't one of my old ideas that I've forgotten because that happens quite a lot these days.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am

GeorgeW wrote:....I'm away from the forum for ages and what do I see when I return....a great idea which I intend to steal and claim as my own. I've been looking for something which will prevent the smoke build-up in my kitchen when I use my ancient Hottop and this fits the bill. It has to better than taking all that time and trouble cleaning the filters albeit this is done every five years or so.
Plaudits to you Sir.....this isn't one of my old ideas that I've forgotten because that happens quite a lot these days.

It is wonderful to hear from you George. :D As far as I am concerned you are welcome to claim any of my ideas as your own. :wink: I did post about this one several years ago, perhaps you missed it at the time. I still use rear filters, fashioned from cooker hood grease filter material, to trap the fine chaff particles as that is much easier than cleaning them off the cooker hood. :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby simonp » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:24 pm

There is always my method which is to (unknowingly) get so much of the wierd crystal-like buildup in side the machine where the motor is that no air gets pulled through the filter (explains why I didn't have to change one in agees!), so no smke out of the back :lol:
I found out last week when the thing kept dumping beans half way through the roast due to overtemp :evil:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Well, George, it's about time you show up and put this ragtag band of caffeinists back in order! I've been meaning to do it of years now, but I always forget. How are things in Auchtermuchty?

It causes me intense pains in my corns to admit it, but we have missed you from time to time. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 pm

GreenBean wrote:
GeorgeW wrote:....I'm away from the forum for ages and what do I see when I return....a great idea which I intend to steal and claim as my own. I've been looking for something which will prevent the smoke build-up in my kitchen when I use my ancient Hottop and this fits the bill. It has to better than taking all that time and trouble cleaning the filters albeit this is done every five years or so.

It is wonderful to hear from you George. :D As far as I am concerned you are welcome to claim any of my ideas as your own. :wink: I did post about this one several years ago, perhaps you missed it at the time. I still use rear filters, fashioned from cooker hood grease filter material, to trap the fine chaff particles as that is much easier than cleaning them off the cooker hood. :?

I still use that to make filters although I can't remember when I last changed them. I'm constantly amazed how much abuse the old Hottops can take and the results are still good. I'm using a Brazzi Daterra blended with MM at the moment as well as an OBJ again blended with MM. Don't have an espresso machine following heart problems so I'm still using Moka pots. Miss my espresso shots though.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby zix » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:46 pm

I still roast too, as always.
The Behmor sees a lot of use these days, it is convenient and safe, if not the precision instrument you might have liked. Occasionally a hot air gun / bowl roast. The best roasts still come from that setup. If I need to roast too much coffee in one batch, I use the oven instead.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:12 am

It is good to hear that you still enjoy roasting, zix. I do not have the skills to get a good roast from a hot air gun / bowl but am very impressed by the people who do. 8)

GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Yeah I am still roasting...sitting at around 28 Deg in the shade today....oh wait - you mean the other roasting ;)
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:01 am

espressomattic wrote:Yeah I am still roasting...sitting at around 28 Deg in the shade today....oh wait - you mean the other roasting ;)

Still making me jealous, Matt. :cry:

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Having just finished 6 months of chemo that virtually killed my taste buds I figured that I might just as well buy some roasted beans. Why bother roasting if everything I eat and drink tastes like cotton balls? To my surprise, my tasted buds were not completely dead and the commercially roasted beans went into the bin. They weren't cheap, but they certainly weren't fresh, either. I just bought some new greens, a Brazilian and a Sidamo that I will blend with some Peruvian and Panama beans that I have been hoarding. A quick glance at my grinder tells me I'll be roasting this afternoon or tomorrow. I still generally roast a kilo of beans every 14 days or so. Cotton balls ahoy!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques