Why does pan roasted coffee taste better than oven roasted?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Why does pan roasted coffee taste better than oven roasted?

Postby Terje » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 am

I prefer the taste of the coffee I roast in a pan to the taste of coffee roasted in the oven. My guess so far is simply that the coffee roasted in the pan gets more burnt and that I simply prefer that taste. I do go for more dark roasts, let's make that clear. But even if dark roasted, oven roasts have something in the taste that I don't like, a dryness (I can't find a better word for it right now). Any experiences with this?
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

RE: Why does pan roasted coffee taste better than oven roast

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Is the oven gas or electric? The difference between our old Gene roasts and those in the gas Pinhalense are quite marked. As Steve once commented (and I hope I'm not misquoting him), gas roasts leave more of the extreme notes in tact ...... or something along those lines.

We got a flatter, dryer roast out of the Gene, which would appear to concur with your findings if your oven is electric.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Terje » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Electric oven. Never tried roasting in a gas oven.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques