Wanted- Roaster, dead or alive.

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Wanted- Roaster, dead or alive.

Postby lsjms » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:07 am

I am looking for a roaster as my obsession has out grown the hottop. My attempts to get this done on a budget are all coming to naught. Looking for 3-5 kilo solid drum gas roaster. Would go as low as 1kg or high as 10kg if the price was right, and electric element is ok but not preferred.

If anyone has any advice or knows of a roaster for sale I would be very grateful.
lsjms

RE: Wanted- Roaster, dead or alive.

Postby bruceb » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:29 pm

I've been trying for a roaster like that for years. In my experience you'll need deep pockets to get anything at all. Even 30 year old junkers go for big money because people want them as decorative items. I bid €3k on an old, rusty Probat this summer and it went for almost twice that! Good luck on this and keep us informed.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lsjms » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Cheers,
That does not bode well as I too have been scouring the industrial catering pages and every web search I can. Seems unlikely that I can find what I want and have much change left from 10k. The budget is half that and must retain a decent value.

Any thoughts on the Toper or Discaf roasters as they seem to be starting price point for decent 2kg+ roasters, indeed I would appreciate input on new roaster choices. There are also things like this from a few manufacturers-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COFFEE-shop-ROAST ... 335b161c17

Is that similar to your Maggionlino Bruce? Any good?

I have also been considering a full custom job, but would like to buy the drum itself, anyone know if a manufacturer would sell a "spare drum" only?
lsjms

Postby bruceb » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:56 am

Both the Maggio and the Artigiano are made by Coffee Tech in Israel, but peculiarly enough neither one of them is shown on the company website in their present product line. The Maggio is a bit unconventional in design and takes some getting used to. The construction quality is ok and with well over 100 roasts under my belt with the unit I have had no mechanical problems with it.

I would not, however, ever spend that kind of money on an electric roaster. The one caveat I have with the Maggio is that it is electric. Having roasted a few times on gas roasters I am convinced that gas is the way to go for anything larger than about a pound roaster.

I've had some very pleasant discussions with the Toper people and have seen their machines in action. They are not comparable with Probats in my opinion (purely from design and construction aspects), but the results I've had from them are excellent. I probably would get a Toper if I really wanted or needed one badly enough. Unfortunately, I have too many other irons in the fire at this time. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Sunnyfield » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:02 am

The Taiwanese company called Yang-Chia Machine Works sells various gas roasters:
Feima 801N 1kg for £3,400 / €4,200
Feima 803N 4kg for £4,900 / €5,900

http://www.feima.com.tw/en/product.html#b
http://www.bellataiwan.com/roaster.htm
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby lsjms » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:54 am

Cheers Bruce, I agree gas is the way to go unless the price was just too compelling. The Topers look like nice roasters but they are over budget at 12,000 US. If I had that money I would hold out for a probat.

Sunnyfield, I read your thread about the 800n and it looks good, really good for the price. I can find no other cast drum/gas roasters at even close to this money. I heard back from Feima but detailed info is a little thin and I cannot find any photos/vids of one of the larger Feimas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyRSiKrC ... re=channel
(loving the guy's shed- he has at least three other roaster that I can not id)

I believe this is a 803, or one of the other larger models, the trier and control board look a little different. Does this share details with your 800n? I don't suppose you have a pic of the drum in your roaster?
lsjms

Postby motoman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:15 pm

For a small fee I can arrange for Mark to meet your topic criteria, the good news is that there will then be a commercial roaster looking for a new home. :mrgreen:
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby lsjms » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Send me a fish in newspaper when it's done.
lsjms

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 am

A large red herring is en route as we speak ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:47 am

The Chinese title says it is a Thai copy of a Fuji machine for 5kg. The machine bears very little resemblance with my roaster; all the details are different. Judging by the beans it is filmed in the Starbucks roasting facility. ;-)

I will make a photo of my drum if I can early this week. It has big vanes, as you would expect.
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby lsjms » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks mate, much appreciated.
lsjms

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:39 am

Here you go! Unfortunately the flap to the drum is quite small and narrow, which makes it difficult to have a good view. I did not notice the somewhat obscenely stuck bean when I took the picture. :?
Attachments
Roaster Drum.JPG
Roaster Drum.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 14564 times
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby lsjms » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Nice, thanks so much for the input. At least the bean is nicely roasted! I never find the stuck bean in the hottop until it's carbon.

Looks good and solid. I finally found the better photos of the outside on the bella taiwan site. Everything considered I think a Feima is looking like the best option. They seem to have quite a following in Taiwan.
lsjms

Postby midnight_storm » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Italian Aroma Coffee in Glasgow have a baby Feima which they use as a sample roaster, they seem happy enough with it, although I gather the roast will run away if you don't fiddle with the gas.

Colin
midnight_storm

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques