Storage tubs with one way valve...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Storage tubs with one way valve...

Postby double_shot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 am

I'm not sure how interesting this is going to be but hey here it is anyway. :)

Tesco are doing a line called 'Greenerliving' microwave food containers. The nice thing about these tubs, is the fact that they incorporate a small one way valve in the lid. Handy for freshly roasted beans unfortunately they're plastic cant have everything I guess.

The tubs in the following image are £1.50 each and they will EDIT! (easily hold a one pound roast :oops: ) hold slightly less than a roasted pound. They are type 5 plastic, the rim of the lid is of a soft rubber type material creating a nice seal. You can see the valve in the upside down lid in the foreground.

Last edited by double_shot on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
double_shot

RE: Storage tubs with one way valve...

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:50 am

Make sure the valve is set to expel the air, I'm not sure from the photo. Also keep them out of sunlight when they contain beans.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby double_shot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 am

The valves seem to be the right way round...I had lots of bubbles coming out of them when I washed them. Maybe I was a little to vigorous while shaking them with hot soapy water inside.

Sunlight geezzz when was the last time that was an issue in the UK? :shock: I get your point they wont be getting the sun on them where they will be living. Oh and when you give them a little squeeze with coffee in they smell great. :D I shall be checking the directional integrity on a regular basis. :lol:

Is there a better option that I have missed that you know of?

Cheers,
double_shot

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 am

This should work okay :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Tristan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:48 am

They look great and a good price too. The next visit to TESCO will be an exciting one.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby RisingPower » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Ooo, this looks great. Excellent find :D
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby RisingPower » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Some toba sulawesi.
Attachments
DSC_0017small.jpg
DSC_0017small.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Sorry, friends, coffee is to be consumed and not stored. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:14 pm

bruceb wrote:Sorry, friends, coffee is to be consumed and not stored. 8)

Ah hah! Now I know what I've been doing wrong. I thought all the fun was just in roasting it and shoving it in the freezer, I didn't realise that you were actually supposed to drink it afterwards Bruce :lol: Once again, I must bow down to your superior knowledge and intellect. I hope to be as wise as you... if I ever make it to be that old :P :P :P

My problem/concern with this kind of container is that the quantity of air contained within will increase as you gradually use up the beans... one way valve or not. The nice thing about "foil" bags with a valve, is that you can remove as much air as possible after each use. If you're using your coffee relatively quickly then this may not be an issue, but then you might as well just shove it in a small hopper (unless you are weighing per dose).

I'd be interested to know off our commercial roasters whether in fact a valve serves much of a purpose after 24/36 hours, as surely most of the degassing has occurred by this point.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby lsjms » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Amen Bruce.

What is the point of this?

Make sure the valve is set to expel the air, I'm not sure from the photo. Also keep them out of sunlight when they contain beans

If you forget be very careful approaching the device.
The next visit to TESCO will be an exciting one

That may be the most depressing thing I have ever read
lsjms

Postby RisingPower » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Gouezeri wrote:
bruceb wrote:Sorry, friends, coffee is to be consumed and not stored. 8)

Ah hah! Now I know what I've been doing wrong. I thought all the fun was just in roasting it and shoving it in the freezer, I didn't realise that you were actually supposed to drink it afterwards Bruce :lol: Once again, I must bow down to your superior knowledge and intellect. I hope to be as wise as you... if I ever make it to be that old :P :P :P

My problem/concern with this kind of container is that the quantity of air contained within will increase as you gradually use up the beans... one way valve or not. The nice thing about "foil" bags with a valve, is that you can remove as much air as possible after each use. If you're using your coffee relatively quickly then this may not be an issue, but then you might as well just shove it in a small hopper (unless you are weighing per dose).

I'd be interested to know off our commercial roasters whether in fact a valve serves much of a purpose after 24/36 hours, as surely most of the degassing has occurred by this point.

Hoy, what about using a vacuum cleaner? :D

Besides, I needed a quick solution for degassing until I can get some vacuum bags from hasbean.
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby lsjms » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 pm

The one way valve is there so a roaster can bag beans right after cooling. They are then ready for delivery without them turning into gas filled party balloons. The valve will not improve your coffee nor prevent it going stale.
lsjms

Postby double_shot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:20 am

@ Bruceb, the required period of storage is really annoying!

I thought they would work OK for degassing freshly roasted beans. Anyway I will find out soon enough.

Oh and by the way I lied! I just found out they won't hold a full one pound roast! :oops: close though.

I don't want to use them for long term storage. I was just going to use them until ready for the grinder. I was intending to have a rolling rotation of home roasted beans, with as near to just in time readiness as I could manage.

If they don't work out for coffee, they will get stuffed full of some other less precious substance. :)

double_shot

Postby RisingPower » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 am

double_shot wrote:
If they don't work out for coffee, they will get stuffed full of some other less precious substance. :)

Myrrh? :P
Izzo Alex
Gene Cafe
Compak K10
RisingPower

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 am

RisingPower wrote:
double_shot wrote:

Myrrh? :P

Argan kernels. :twisted:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques