DIY extraction hood for hottop

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

DIY extraction hood for hottop

Postby NottmSteve » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Being useless at DIY I'd appreciate and suggestions to help with venting the smoke from a hottop to a nearby window.

My hottop is situated in a utility room, within 4 foot of a window (if that - it's next to and below it!). I'd like to place a hood over it, with a pipe to vent the smoke out the open window. At the most basic it would be a small hood, with fan and tube.

I would prefer something off the shelf, if something exists!

I don't want anything expensive! This is just a way of taking the smoke out the nearby window more effectively than opening it (clears the room eventually but the house still stinks).

The pipe would need to be retractable, as it will only hang out the window as I roast - this wont be a permanent hole in the wall effort!

Cheers
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

RE: DIY extraction hood for hottop

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:56 pm

There were some decent cheap cooker hoods on ebay when we were looking for the one for our roaster Steve. From memory, they started around £22 for something fairly basic in white or a colour up to about £70 for stainless steel. Most could exhaust via a pipe kit (when we got ours they were cheapest at Screwfix for in the region of £8 including the vent - I expect the tube only costs less). All the cooker hoods were significantly cheaper than the RRP.

A couple of screws/fixings and a plug and you'd be away if venting via the window. Just don't leave too big a gap between the Hottop and the hood and you should be fine :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby NottmSteve » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Stick any links up if you find any... Not sure what search terms to use to find them best.

Appreciate the advice.
Last edited by NottmSteve on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby NottmSteve » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:34 pm

also... space above limited by cupboards...

this needs to be a hood that fits the size of the hottop, to literally place it on top as it is used.
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby DrTom » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:47 am

If all else fails it sounds like it would be easy (and possibly more appropriate to just place over the roaster as needed) to make something with minimal DIY skills - I guess it's all about how good you want it to look! I'm a function over form kind of person, so I'm not sure you would want to have any of my ideas take shape in your lovely house though! If it has to be removeable/collapseable you could make the hood out of 2 layers of cardboard for strength and workability, then similar to Cakey's suggestion get some of the stuff you would use for a tumble dryer exhaust and some kind of extractor fan running on 240 V in-line with the exhaust tubing.

Sounds like quite a beautiful design - I may enter this into some kind of 'Most visually appealing home appliance' contest.

Good luck!
DrTom

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:06 pm

We just searched for 'cooker hood' on ebay Steve. If you do that it should yield the latest selection of cooker hoods.

A couple of examples available now, here, here (with cosmetic damage, but working), and here (an integrated model, but possibly more compact). I haven't checked the venting method on each model linked, you will need to do that. Make sure that the one you buy in the end has an external venting option, i.e. is not a charcoal filter only type.

There may still be some around at just over £20 (plus delivery). This time last year there were loads. Maybe there a a glut, I don't know. A long sort theough the ebay search results might yield a gem.

This is a typical example of a venting kit.

You may well find something cheaper if you Google for it. Good luck :D

The one at screwfix is here. Beware though, as you'll see, one is 100mm whilst the other is 125mm. You will need to buy the correct size for whatever hood you eventually decide upon. A search on Screwfix will yield the smaller sized version.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm

As you are only dealing with a short distance to the window I would suggest trying just the aluminium flexible tube as shown in Cakeys link for vent kits.

Provided your rear filter is not blocked almost all the smoke from the Hottop will come from the rear fan and you only need a way to hold the tube onto the rear fan housing. If the tube is 5" or even better 6" the pressure drop will be very small and will not affect the Hottop operation.

A very crude but simple way to connect the tube would be to use a suitable sized Tupperware type container larger than the largest of the tube and rear filter housing then with a sharp knife cut a square hole in one side of the container to fit the housing and a round hole in the other side to fit the tube.

The air leaving the rear fan is well diluted and only slightly warm so a plastic container will be fine.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby NottmSteve » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 pm

cheers guys.

most of the smoke I see pours out of the top, through the many bad seals in the hottop. I'd worry a rear tube would miss the leaking stuff from eleswhere.

Guess DIY is the way forward and I think I am misleading you with the term "hood". For me, hood means an umbrella type cover, with a fan in the middle, vented to the window via a tube.
It doesn't mean a bespoke cooker hood.

Imagine a house roof, with the 4 walls removed... then a tube stuck in the top... The cardboard idea is closest, but I had hoped there was an off the shelf possibility. It would be removable, but not necessarily collapseable. I'd just hang it over when roasting, and bung it in the garage after.
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby DrTom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:11 pm

I can make one for you! I get to make something and you get an off the self solution! (Product not CE certified, product does not pass any level of fit-for-purpose testing, do not use product near humans, use of product may result in disdain for manufacturer)

So if you want to send me the dimensions... :P
DrTom

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques