Roaster 50 kilos or less????

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roaster 50 kilos or less????

Postby benoit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:16 pm

After years espressooing on my Microcimbali

I am still at roasting with my three faithful heatguns
tucked together...

I am investigating the market for a small commercial roaster...
20 to 50 kilos on five days a week
1 phase or gas...?

Any for sale second-hand?

Name

or make?

Prices...

Benoit planning to open a Deli and supplying one restaurant, deli in Deptford, London....

a french-canadian living in Somerset
benoit

RE: Roaster 50 kilos or less????

Postby bruceb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Are you sure you want to go that big? Even 20 kg is a huge batch of coffee. In any case gas should be the only choice. You'd need your own nuclear power plant to get enough power from an electric heater to roast 20-50kg of beans in a half-way reasonable time (I'm exaggerating, but only a little) and 1 phase you can forget right away. Big roasters like that go for quite a bit of money. Even a 40-year old Probat will run upwards of 6k Euro and will probably need going over before you can use it. Good luck and keep us informed on how things are developing.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: Roaster 50 kilos or less????

Postby JulieJayne » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm

benoit wrote: I am still at roasting with my three faithful heatguns
tucked together...

I am investigating the market for a small commercial roaster...
20 to 50 kilos on five days a week

Or you could always get 50 Behmors/Hottops and line them up. By the time you finished setting the last one the first one should be finished :lol: I always thought that this would be an interesting experiment.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby DrTom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:59 pm

benoit wrote: I am still at roasting with my three faithful heatguns
tucked together...

I respect anyone who wields this beast! I also respect the electrician who used a copper mine to wire your socket! That must suck some juice!!
DrTom

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 am

JulieJayne wrote:Or you could always get 50 Behmors/Hottops and line them up. By the time you finished setting the last one the first one should be finished :lol: I always thought that this would be an interesting experiment.

I always imagined that is how our favourite micro roasters worked. :shock:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 am

GreenBean wrote:
JulieJayne wrote:Or you could always get 50 Behmors/Hottops and line them up. By the time you finished setting the last one the first one should be finished :lol: I always thought that this would be an interesting experiment.

Buy some stocks in Logitech, quick!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 pm

bruceb wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Buy some stocks in Logitech, quick!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: Roaster 50 kilos or less????

Postby motoman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:47 pm

What silly replies you are getting, why not try looking for an extinct volcano in your area and re activate it on Guy Fawkes day so that no one will notice it.

There are other ways to generate the power you require but, Cheltenham monitoring centre get security activation warnings when certain words are used over the net.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques