European Behmor roast profiles

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby sicinius » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 am

Tried P1 with 1/4 and then P2 1/2 B, following the instructions in the book.

Both times I hit the cooling button the recommended time after 1st crack slightly adjusted for it starting earlier than the time given.

There is a slight newly sawn wood aroma in the jar and in the cup which is not with the Hasbean-roasted beans of which I have a small stock remaining for comparison. There is also something else I have not tasted before, akin to Shredded Wheat which I rather like.

I think a long trial and error process looms. But before I start down that road, I'd like to get repeatable results that look and taste like what STeve does.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:18 am

You may have already tried/checked this...
In order to get repeatable results, I would start by checking what your line voltage is (and set the behmor accordingly), and make sure that there is nothing else drawing current at the same time from nearby sockets, as the behmor is clearly influenced by this (as are most other home roasters). I would also check what your ambient temperature is (if like me you crack a window).

Do bear in mind that Steve is roasting in much big batches and with gas, so it is unlikely to ever be exactly the same, whether it be look or taste.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby sicinius » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:33 am

Seem to be settling down and getting repeatable results but only with manual intervention, timing an exact two minutes after 1st crack and letting some of the heat out of the door while cooling. I left the chaff catcher out once. Won't be doing that again.

Christmas Eve seems to be a disaster area for coffee for me. Broke a jar almost all my roasted stuff last year and this year broke the big jar with all the green in it so have run out on Boxing Day two years in a row.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby roibeard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 pm

I used to have terrible problems getting a roast through to second crack without overloading above the standard 1/4, 1/2, and going 1 weight setting above. Before every roast I now do a ~2 min warm up without the basket or chaff tray in. Have been getting very consistent results since and can easily take roasts at the normal weight settings as far into 2nd crack as I need to.

Also gave up on the roast guidance in the manual after the first few results and switched to relying on sight, sound, smell and records I'd made from previous roasts to guide me. My feeling is too that the 110V roast profiles are not really relevant for the 240V machine.
roibeard

Postby sicinius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Before every roast I now do a ~2 min warm up
Sounds like a briliant idea.
sicinius

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 am

Welcome to TMC Roibeard :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi Roibeard, welcome to TMC.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques