soapstone heater

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

soapstone heater

Postby michel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Hello, it's been a while since I was here... Haven't roasted any bean for over 1 year (my I-roast is still borowed by a friend). But buyng beans isn't the same as roasting your own. Ans now we moved to a new house and I am the lucky owner of a soapstone heater by the firm Tulikivi. So not depending on gasheating only I'm chopping wood etc. and was thinking if it wood be possible to roast some beans in the heater. The inner chamber is about 30x29 cm, 40 cm high. So if anyone of you guys know of some devise which I can put (or hang) in there when there is only charcoal left? And do you think it wil work?
Thanks a lot, Michel
Attachments
tulikivi2.jpg
tulikivi2.jpg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

RE: soapstone heater

Postby bruceb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi! Tulikivis are incredible (read expensive, heavy, efficient) heaters. Congratulations. My wife would love to have one, but I'm not sure our floors can handle it (and I know my bank account cannot). The problem with roasting in it is at least twofold: Even charcoal will leave a smoky flavour (which you may or may not like) so you would want a tightly closed drum, and more importantly, you will have to find a way to rotate the drum inside the chamber. An old, closed drum roaster from ebay would fit (see picture), but I don't know how you would roatate it. Quite honestly, it doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me. Enjoy the fire and get your I-Roast back.
Attachments
Joris.jpg
Joris.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby michel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks for your thoughts (and the nice picture) Bruceb, it is indead a nice heater... and more than worth its money (as far as I can tell after a month of use). For example: when I heat it up bigtime for 1 hour and then leave it be, it is still warm the very next day... so you can imagine I'm looking forward for my gasbill.
But as far as roasting... you're probably right on the rotating part being a potentional problem... although, when fire is gone and only charcoal is left... I think I can leave the door open (only at night of course when the wife is sleeping...). Still I hope someone knows of some device to put in the fire chamber with the door shut.
michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques