RoastLogger with USB & webcam input

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 am

CakeBoy wrote:....Randy's site was inspirational to me during my formulative coffee years. I remember many late nights feverishly devouring the chapters of his adventures.....

I am sure many of us would agree with this and have gained a great deal from Randy's site.

frcn wrote:.... It would be nice if the "Action" panes could be resized when opened so more than one could be viewed at a time on small screens.. :wink:

Welcome to TMC Randy, it is good to have you here. :D

I am aware of the issue you raise and agree it is less than ideal. It is the best compromise I can come up with at the moment as, unfortunately, the alternatives have other downsides. I will, however, give it some more thought.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Oh yes, I also profited a great deal from Randy's site. Excellent work, GB, for bringing him on board! :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Computer Controlled Hottop D, B or P roaster

Postby GreenBean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 pm

Would you like a computer controlled Hottop? Hottop model D, B or P roasters can now be converted to a computer controlled roaster. 8)

The conversion involves the installation of a TC4 system and a HT Roaster Interface Device (HTC or HTShield) and connecting everything up by plugging in standard Hottop control cables and a USB cable.

The revisions to the RoastLogger, and in particular the Arduino Controller, over the last several months have been in preparation for this new control system. Randy has updated the RoastLogger user manual to include working with the new HT Roaster Interface Devices and is also producing a separate Installation and user guide covering hardware and software installation and setup.

Further information will be made available in the near future.

I wish to make it clear that whilst I have been involved in the development and testing of the above system I have no financial interest in this whatsoever.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

A little further information

Postby GreenBean » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:05 am

A few images of how I have implemented computer control of my Hottops using the new HT Roaster Interface Devices follow, just to whet your appetite: :D

Computer controlled Hottop B.  Only outward signs are USB connection on the rear cover and red LED to the right of the control panel which indicates when the heater is on.

Installation inside Hottop with all connections made except for thermocouples.  This shows an Arduino, TC4 shield and HTShield which just plug together.  The connections to the Hottop just plug in using standard Hottop control cables, an LED cable (optional but highly recommended) and an earth cable (optional to roaster frame, recommended if using grounded thermocouples).

Results from two recent roasts.  One shown as the template and one the current roast.  Both roasts were produced by the default settings of the Arduino Controller without human intervention except to load the beans, press space to mark the roast stages and eject the beans.

GreenBean

RE: A little further information

Postby bruceb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 am

This is marvelous! If I ever have more time I'm going to drag out the HotTop and work on this. Thanks much for sharing this.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby frcn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 am

I am plowed under with work this week what with a new coffee appliance to be delivered tomorrow for review, the HTC/TC4C manual to write, a dog fresh out of surgery, a possible tryout with a new blues/trock group (hopefully), and more (the complete list too long to share in detail). But here is a photo of my installation of the beta version of the HTC/TC4C.
1 - HTC (this is a beta version of teh HTC board and the production version looks a litle different, but not enough to mention or cause worry.
2 - TC4C
3 - Thermocouples
4 - USB connection
5 - Hottop ribbon cables. One from the control panel and the othe to the main (power) board

For the final installation I used a cable with a panel-mounted female end that is screwed into the back cover. The aluminum plate is a mounting platform I fabricated. It is tapped and threaded for two screws to hold it to the side frame.

Connected to the computer the boards have control. Disconnect the USB cable and the Hottop works as if the boards are not installed. Repeatability is uncanny. Simply amazing.

For anyone with a Hottop who is serious about roasting, this system is highly recommended. And even if you aren't.

Thanks to Tom and Jim, in Transatlantic Cooperation who made this all work and are making it available for we mortals. I only say that becasue I was in the developement loop, and I was CC'd some of the E-mails of their technical discussions regarding programming and electronic design. I was an art major. it was so over my head I had to find the opt-out!

I found tis all so valuable that I volunteered to write both manuals so that others could benefit as well as I had.
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby silron1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:19 am

Hey GB those results are looking greeeaaat!!.

What quantity of beans were you using?.

Do you think the kits will become available to purchase in the UK or will they only be a US import.

Love to 'have a go' but my limited electronics knowledge looks like that's not going to happen.

Congratulations to all involved.

Ron :D
silron1

Postby GreenBean » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:59 am

Hi Ron, I was using 290 g of beans for the roasts. I am lucky in having a very stable 240 volt supply so regularly roast up to 300 g.

The new boards would have to be imported from the US.

I would suggest you review what is required when Randy has had a chance to complete his hardware installation manual. The electronics knowledge required to assemble and connect the components is how to plug them together. No soldering is required. Having said that installing any items in a roaster with mains voltages around requires great care to ensure that there is no possibility whatsoever of mains voltages coming into contact with any part of the installation. Anyone considering this should read all the documentation and disclaimers carefully. If they have any doubt about their ability to safely install the components they should seek expert help.

In your case Ron, if you want further information email me.

GreenBean

Re: Computer Controlled Hottop D, B or P roaster

Postby JimG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:49 pm

GreenBean wrote:I wish to make it clear that whilst I have been involved in the development and testing of the above system I have no financial interest in this whatsoever.

The things that aren't perfect with this new system are most likely the result of me not listening closely enough to GB. The things that work well are most likely due to GB's input and extensive trial roasts.

I doubt this will come as any surprise to TMC members or RoastLogger users :D

Jim
JimG

Re: Computer Controlled Hottop D, B or P roaster

Postby GreenBean » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 am

JimG wrote:...
The things that aren't perfect with this new system are most likely the result of me not listening closely enough to GB. The things that work well are most likely due to GB's input and extensive trial roasts....

That is very flattering Jim but probably not entirely true. After working with you over the last several months on this project I do not believe that either of us would easily accept "things that aren't perfect" :wink: and I would suggest it may be more accurate to replace "most likely" with "definitely". :D

Seriously though it has been a real pleasure to work on this project with such professionals as you and Randy and I am delighted with the end result which I am happy to recommend wholeheartedly. I am looking forward to hearing how early adopters get on with all this.

If you ever fancy working on another project, perhaps something simpler next time, such as cold fusion or a perpetual motion machine, I'm in. :lol: :lol:

GreenBean

RE: Re: Computer Controlled Hottop D, B or P roaster

Postby lukas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:23 am

That's an impressive demonstration of transatlantic teamwork there. You two Sirs are awesome!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby GreenBean » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks Lukas. Personally, I think moving from home roasting to opening your own roastery is really awesome. :wink:
Last edited by GreenBean on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 pm

For anyone looking for more information on using the HT Roaster Interface to control their Hottop, Jim (JimG) has started a thread onhomeroasters.org and Randy (frcn) has started a thread on home-barista.com.

To avoid repeating information here I suggest anyone interested checks those threads occasionally for updated information.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:56 pm

I have been communicating with Ron (TMC member silron1) for a few days regarding suitable thermocouples and other issues associated with the installation of the HT Roaster Interface system.

We have settled on these thermocouples (style 3, XCIB-K-3-5-3). Whilst these are over specified for the service they have been chosen for the following reasons:
    1. They are exposed junction and not grounded so need no further insulation for the thermocouple.
    2. They have a 32 mm long collar providing for easy secure fixing to the rear wall of the roast chamber using J B Weld.
    3. They use 0.8 mm wire which should be very robust.

This is an expensive solution but it is hoped that these TC's will provide for a simple installation and robust service. Only time will tell if we are correct or not.

These thermocouples are metal braided (inconel) which is not required in this service and adds the additional complication that it is necessary to ensure the braid is insulated and fixed in place so that there is no possibility of it coming into contact with any exposed high voltage connections within the roaster.

Ron has ordered these and will report back after installation and testing.

[Edit: corrected thermocouple reference]
Last edited by GreenBean on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 am

Randy (frcn) has worked his magic again, his excellent and comprehensive user guide to the HT Roaster Interface Device is now available for download.

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques