RoastLogger with USB & webcam input

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: An update to the Roast logger is available

Postby lsjms » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Whilst having no idea what the last couple of posts actually say, I just assume it means more awesomeness for this already brilliant bit of software so will update.
Cheers GB
lsjms

Re: RE: An update to the Roast logger is available

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 pm

lsjms wrote:Whilst having no idea what the last couple of posts actually say, I just assume it means more awesomeness for this already brilliant bit of software so will update.
Cheers GB

I am delighted that you find it awesome lsjms. :oops:

I accept you comment regarding the incomprehensible nature of the last few posts. I hope the people interested in the new facilities will understand. Perhaps I should announce the next update as:

More awesomeness is now available.:lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:21 pm

GreenBean wrote:Perhaps I should announce the next update as:

No need to do this. It is self-understood. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:46 pm

bruceb wrote:
GreenBean wrote:Perhaps I should announce the next update as:

No need to do this. It is self-understood. 8)

Oh you're embarrassing me now. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Please feel free to embarrass me some more. :wink: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

A further minor update to the Roast logger

Postby GreenBean » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm

A further minor update to the Roast logger is now available. This update improves the ease of use of the SerialDMMReader and adds compatibility with 64 bit versions of Java under Windows.

For further information, or to download, see the downloads section of TMC.

Version 1.6.3 - 7/2/2012

The SerialDMMReader now saves data on the last used device and port on exit and restores them on startup.
    An option has been added to the SerialDMMReader to auto start on each startup using the above last used data.
    The SerialDMMReader and Arduino Controller are now compatible with 64 bit versions of Java on Windows.

GreenBean

RoastLogger Arduino sketches available for download

Postby GreenBean » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm

The RoastLogger website downloads page now includes downloads of Arduino sketches, together with the required libraries, for use with:

Arduino / TC4 **
Arduino / MAX 6675 thermocouple interface chips (sketch includes experimental PID control).
Arduino / MAX 31855 thermocouple interface chips (sketch includes experimental PID control).

The RoastLogger can read temperature data from these sketches via the Arduino Controller or SerialDMMReader. The Arduino Controller provides additional facilities to set heater power and to automatically start logging when the beans are loaded.

** Please note that the RoastLogger-TC4 sketch has been tested with, and communicates with, an Arduino Uno and Duemilanove and reads the temperature data from the TC4 but the heater power control has not, as yet, been tested on a TC4. Many thanks to John (Scoobs) for testing the temperature readings on his TC4.

The sketches can be used as is or used as examples of how to communicate with the RoastLogger Arduino Controller or SerialDMMReader for use in your own sketches.

Please feel free to modify/distribute/publish these sketches as you wish provided that you comply with the conditions stated in the original copyright/disclaimer notifications included in the various files.

GreenBean

RoastLogger Updates

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:29 pm

There have been two further minor updates to the RoastLogger (now version 1.6.5) and the SerialDMMReader (now version 0.50). These updates only affects the SerialDMMReader and the Arduino Controller so you only need to download if you are using these interfaces.

The updates include the option to read an Arduino via the SerialDMMReader for users who just want a simple interface to read in up to two temperatures. They also fix a problem reading a Voltcraft K204 which resulted in failure to read the device after some time. This problem may have also affected readings on the Center 304/309. Many thanks again to Ludger (Joe-die-Hyäne Kaffee-Netz) for testing several versions on his K204 to investigate and fix this problem.

Version 1.6.5 - 13/2/2012 - including SerialDMMReader version 0.50

Fixed a problem reading the Voltcraft K204 which resulted in failure to read the device after some time. This problem may also have affected the Center 304/309.
    The last user selection of USB HID or Serial devices on the DMM tab is now saved and restored between sessions.
    The readme file on interfacing to a user supplied device or application updated.
Version 1.6.4 - 8/2/2012 - including SerialDMMReader version 0.49

Added ability to read an Arduino to the SerialDMMReader to provide a simple interface for those who just want to read one or two temperature inputs from an Arduino via a simpler interface than the Arduino Controller.
    Now reads Center 304/309 and Voltcraft K204 devices once every two seconds. Previously readings were once per second.
    Debug output now sent to the RoastLogger DMM tab connection status messages area.
    Updated Arduino Controller to provide more robust communication with the Arduino.

GreenBean

Postby JimG » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi, GB -

I can see that I have missed many, many improvements to Roastlogger since I last visited this thread!

I have sent you an email in which I have asked about the possibility of collaborating to further enhance the interface between Roastlogger and the TC4/Arduino system.

Jim
JimG

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:50 am

JimG wrote:Hi, GB -

I can see that I have missed many, many improvements to Roastlogger since I last visited this thread!

I have sent you an email in which I have asked about the possibility of collaborating to further enhance the interface between Roastlogger and the TC4/Arduino system.

Jim

Hi Jim, It is good to see you around here. A reply email has been sent.

GreenBean

Update available

Postby GreenBean » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:42 pm

An update to the RoastLogger to version 1.6.6 is now available. This update provides improvements to the Arduino Controller, the SerialDMMReader and the three Arduino sketches. Anyone using an Arduino should update both the RoastLogger and the relevant sketch to the latest version.

Many thanks to Jim Gallt for modifying the RoastLoggerTC4 sketch to provide PWM control of a roasters heater and fan and other improvements.

Version 1.6.6 - 13/3/2012 - including SerialDMMReader version 0.51

Updated the Arduino sketches as follows:

RoastLoggerTC4 sketch updated to provide PWM control of both heater and fan and to allow different thermocouple types on each of 2 inputs.
    Remaining sketches updated to provide a consistent way for the user to choose Celsius or Fahrenheit output.
Updated the Arduino Controller as follows:
    Added fan speed control for use with the modified RoastLoggerTC4 sketch.
    Now automatically selects last used serial port if it exists in port list.
    Modified to ensure better compatibility with the Arduino Uno startup characteristics.
    Stopping/starting the Arduino Controller now automatically resets it if necessary.
    Previously the Arduino Controller converted Celsius input to Fahrenheit if the chart axis was set to Fahrenheit. Now the users choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit is set in the Arduino sketch before compiling/uploading and is not converted by the Controller.
Updated the SerialDMMReader as follows:
    Cosmetic changes to the SerialDMMReader to version 0.51 to improve layout when running under Windows OS.

GreenBean

RE: Update available

Postby Bak_Ta_Lo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:09 am

HELLO!

Hey, finally got my login to toomuchcoffee! Just want to say hello to the group, and that I love the RoastLogger app, I am using it with my Quest M3 and two Victor 83 DMM's. I will post a pic later.

Jeremy "Bak_Ta_Lo"
Bak_Ta_Lo

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Welcome to TMC Jeremy. It is good to hear that you still love the RoastLogger. :D

You have chosen wisely with the Victor 86 DMM's. They are still the recommended and easiest way to interface thermocouples to the RoastLogger for those who only want to log temperatures rather than control the roaster. They do not need any drivers to work in any operating system and no knowledge of electronics or programming is required. They also provide more robust communication (USB HID) than a serial device and allow automatic detection by the RoastLogger so the user does not need to set serial ports, baud rates or other parameters.

GreenBean

Minor update

Postby GreenBean » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 pm

A further minor update to the SerialDMMReader is now available. This update only affects the SerialDMMReader and fixes an internationalisation issue which prevented it working correctly in some regions/locals that do not use the dot as the default decimal separator.

Version 1.6.6 - 13/3/2012 with updated SerialDMMReader to version 0.52

This is an update to the SerialDMMReader only to fix an internationalisation issue which prevented it working correctly in some regions/locals that do not use the dot as the default decimal separator.

GreenBean

Minor update for TC4 users

Postby GreenBean » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:19 pm

A minor update for TC4 users is now available. This update utilises additional functionality provided by the TC4, allowing the TC4 generated RoR (temperature gradient) information to be displayed by the RoastLogger. The TC4 RoR data can be displayed when connected via the Arduino Controller or the SerialDMMReader. To display the RoR data the RoastLogger menu option "Show RoR (temperature gradients)" must be checked.

Version 1.6.7 - 3/4/2012

Minor update for TC4 users. This update utilises the TC4 RoR (temperature gradients) data when a TC4 is used as the input device. The TC4 RoR data can be used when connected via the Arduino Controller or the SerialDMMReader.
    Minor updates to the Arduino sketches as follows:
      Arduino sketches for Max6675 and Max 38155 updated to limit serial output to one decimal place.
      RoastLoggerTC4 sketch updated to change order of serial output in logger method to improve responsiveness when RoR data is displayed by RoastLogger.
    Updated the help file.
    Updated the image included in the distribution that shows an example setup for OCR (ExampleSetupForOCR.jpg)

GreenBean

Further Minor Update

Postby GreenBean » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 pm

A further minor update to significantly improve the RoR (rate of rise or temperature gradient) data provided and to fix a minor bug :oops: introduced in the previous version 1.6.7 that would only affect TC4 users using fan speed control. The bug stopped the fan setting displayed in the Arduino Controller updating correctly.

Prior to the previous revision 1.6.7 the RoR calculation used was rather poor as it was an attempt to provide data for input devices that read temperatures in whole degrees only. In this case, at a RoR of say 2 degrees per minute, the temperature would appear constant for 30 seconds then increase by one degree. Providing useful data from this in a timely fashion is not practical.

The previous revision 1.6.7 provided access to the TC4 RoR data. The TC4 provides temperature data to decimal fractions of a degree and provides good RoR data. This is used whenever a TC4 is connected.

This revision provides a new algorithm significantly improving RoR data for inputs other than the TC4 but will only provide meaningful data for devices providing temperature data to tenths of a degree. To display the RoR data the RoastLogger menu option "Show RoR (temperature gradients)" must be checked.

version 1.6.8 6/4/2012
    Fixed a minor bug introduced in the previous version 1.6.7 that would only affect TC4 users using fan speed control. The bug stopped the fan speed setting, displayed in the Arduino Controller, updating correctly.

Completely rewritten RoR temperature gradient calculation used when not reading from a TC4 (If you connect a TC4 it's RoR data is used). These RoR calculations are only really meaningful for input devices providing temperature information to tenths of a degree. To display the RoR data the RoastLogger menu option "Show RoR (temperature gradients)" must be checked.

Resolved an incompatibility issue that, under Linux only, stopped the RoastLogger recognising an Arduino Uno. The udev rule already included in the distribution has been updated to resolve this issue. See the troubleshooting section of the RoastLogger website for details of how to use this.
Last edited by GreenBean on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques