Chaff hurts

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Chaff hurts

Postby Bombcup » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Been reading a thread on Coffeed about dealing with chaff. Recommendations include composting and using for chicken feed. Until recently I would compact the chaff in the dustbin by pushing it down with bare hands but I noticed a burning sensation on the skin of my forearms so now steer clear of skin contact.

Anyone else have a skin reaction to chaff? What's the nasty ingredient and could this cause a problem for composting or other uses?
Bombcup

RE: Chaff hurts

Postby Steve » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Never had an issue, although I've heard of people developing all sorts of issues with green coffee and jute (allergy wise) so I guess its not out of the realms of possibility.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 am

I am regularly arms deep in chaff, so to speak, and haven't had any kind of reaction yet. Could be a number of things - but Steve L might be onto the right track. Any allergies if you submerge your hands/arms in lots of greens?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 am

I don't like being around Jute that can set me off Indonesian jute in particular.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:40 am

Jute very slightly irritates me too, not chaff though.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48 pm

I've never met Jute, surely he can't be as bad as all that.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Bombcup » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm weighing out and loading the hopper with most of the coffee we roast at the moment so I'm always getting covered in green dust but with no ill-effects which makes the chaff thing seem odd. Richie wears a dust mask around the green coffee because it gives him hayfever symptoms and he also avoids contact with the chaff.
Bombcup

Postby triptogenetica » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:56 pm

I've heard of people developing all sorts of issues with green coffee and jute (allergy wise)
Richie wears a dust mask around the green coffee because it gives him hayfever symptoms and he also avoids contact with the chaff.

This is very interesting; I put up with hayfever every spring, but have had no problems with chaff so far (in home-roaster quantities). I don't know about jute.

However, there is an immunological reaction well described in cotton / fibre workers, byssinosis, which is of course pretty rare in the West now. It's a chronic hypersensitivity reaction, which happens in some people but not others.

There are a very few papers on pubmed, regarding jute and immune reactions.

Those I can find are of uncertain quality (eg only abstracts available, the rest not in english, small journals etc). The most recent concludes intriguingly; "Our data suggest that immunological reactions are not likely to be responsible for the development of respiratory impairment in textile workers exposed to jute and sisal dust."

This suggests that respiratory symptoms when exposed to fibres (eg jute, sisal, ?cotton) may be distinct from allergic-type symptoms.

Steve (L), if you find you react to some jute sacks, but not all, perhaps there is something else on the material of the problem sacks? If those indonesian sacks were damp at any point, they could have bacterial endotoxins on them - and these could be your allergens.

As for chaff - I've even less idea. If greens are fine but chaff is a problem, it's unlikely a toxin is to blame - that would have been lost during the roast.

I don't think I can be much more of a help - there's not much research in this...
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Re: RE: Chaff hurts

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:06 pm

triptogenetica wrote:
Steve (L), if you find you react to some jute sacks, but not all, perhaps there is something else on the material of the problem sacks? If those indonesian sacks were damp at any point, they could have bacterial endotoxins on them - and these could be your allergens.

A talk with some other roasters I found that others have problems with Indo bags and your probably right, it may be something else for sure.
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques