Hottop top filters...?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hottop top filters...?

Postby quoad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 am

Does anyone know where these are findable...?

My Hottop continues to do sterling service, but the top filter is several degrees beyond 'over-loved'...

Thanks in advance...
quoad

RE: Hottop top filters...?

Postby P.B » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:11 am

Why not cut a filter from an overhead extractor fan to the right size? They're fire proof and cheaper.
P.B

Postby bruceb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:16 pm

I personally never saw any purpose in the top filter and I have never changed it. With well over 1000 roasts under its belt the HotTop seems quite happy for it. I take the filter apart every once in awhile and carefully blow it and the metal housing out with compressed air, however little comes out when I do that. I don't usually mention it out loud here, but I do about the same with the rear fan filter. I've changed it twice in the last 3 years. My roasts are not smoky, the times are no different than with a fresh filter and life is good.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation or even a suggestion. Also, smoke is of no consequence to me as the roaster sits under a 2kw exhaust hood. YMMV
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby quoad » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:58 pm

Fantastic... TY, bruce, in particular...

My roasts've got noticeably smokier in the last wee while - and I'm based in a single, student room with a potentially triggerable fire alarm :D

I might take P.B.'s suggestion and - if I go ahead - cut down an alternative filter...
quoad

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:28 pm

I follow Bruce's example but again mine sits under a 2KW extractor vented outside. I make my own rear filters also but, being old, I can't remember at the moment what I use.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Hottop will send some directly if you need a contact give me a ping
Steve
Founder Member