Problem with Alpenrost

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Problem with Alpenrost

Postby the_changing_man » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:27 pm

Just when it was going so well i now seem to have a major problem with my Alpenrost roaster...

roasting 8 oz on any setting ( 8, 10, 12 then 15 ) results in terminally under roasted beans...

its just happened all of a sudden...i thought the first batch suffered heat loss as the window nearby was full open but the other batches came out the same...

now i havent tried a half batch so might do that to see if its any better..

anyone else got one and had any problems?

is it worth looking at getting it fixed or am i better searching for an alternative?
Shade
the_changing_man

RE: Problem with Alpenrost

Postby ivdp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:21 pm

If you roast less than before, even more heat escapes!
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:27 pm

The heat shield some times can be the issue. The silver part on the lid needs to be very clean to reflect the heat. Use a little bit of cafiza on a rag and water to clean it up and you can notice big improvements.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby the_changing_man » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:54 pm

ive managed to get a reasonable medium roast after holding the lid firm on a second roast....theres a small small gap but i cant imagine it causing that much issue!

I'll give cleaning the lid a go!
Shade
the_changing_man

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:14 am

I roasted about 500 batches with my Alp before the electronics went out. I kept it quite clean and completely disassembled it once or twice to clean out chaff from the fan area (you need a special Torx safety driver with a long shaft to do that), but otherwise always had reliable results. It was never easy to get a dark roast with the Alp, however.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby the_changing_man » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:27 am

how embarrassing....it turns out my digital scales were on the blink and i was roasting too much coffee at a time for the machine to handle!

New scales to hand the first roast came out perfect :roll: :lol:
Shade
the_changing_man

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 am

Well that is a better outcome than a dead roasting machine, so all's well that ends well I say :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby the_changing_man » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am

I was beginning to wonder if it was worth admitting....but hey...if it helps some other overworked victim then so be it!
Shade
the_changing_man

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques