Roast Temperature Data Logger - Testers required

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roast Temperature Data Logger - Testers required

Postby GreenBean » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm

I am looking for volunteers to test a temperature data logger as follows:

I have had a number of requests to provide facilities to interface digital multimeters, reading roast temperature data, to the Coffee Roast Database.

This is a complex task for many reasons and I have made a start by writing a data logger which is intended to read up to two digital multimeters with suitable serial or usb interfaces and log the results.

This data logger can be used as a stand alone program and can save logs to a comma separated value file for reading and graphing in any spreadsheet program. It has facilities to log the data at intervals between 5 seconds and 60 seconds and to record specific roast stages for loading beans, first crack start and end, second crack start and eject beans.

The data logger already has the interface needed to supply the resulting data in real time to the Coffee Roast Database.

As this is such a difficult task considering the number of different operating systems and multimeters that could be used I wish to test the program in the real world. If sufficient people test the program successfully I will modify the Coffee Roast Database to accept the input from this data logger and make both available on my website.

At this stage I want to control this beta issue of the data logger so I prefer to email the program to volunteers. I would be grateful if any volunteers would send me there email address (to green_bean@ntlworld.com) and I will send them the program and some instructions to help them get started. All I ask is that they try to get it working with their equipment and let me know the outcome.

The compressed zip archive is only 384 KB in size.

I have tested the program on the following so far:

Maplin Precision Gold NF56U Multimeter with USB interface (this is a rebadged All-Sun EM6000)

Windows Vista, Windows XP, Linux (Kubuntu 8.10), OSX Leopard

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 or above, correctly installed, is required.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Roast Temperature Data Logger - Testers required

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Sounds very exciting. Making this a sticky whilst testing takes place.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:00 am

It looks as though this project will have to go on the too difficult pile for the time being. I would be grateful if Cakey or Dom would remove this from the stickies.

I would like to thank the small number of volunteers for their help. Sadly only one of these had a multimeter with an interface suitable for testing with this program and he has not been able to get it working with his multimeter. Without access to the particular multimeter I am unable to resolve this.

It appears that my first thoughts (below), posted in the Coffee Roast Database thread, were correct.

With the different hardware to read the temperatures and different interfaces to the computer this becomes a minefield. If I provide a facility for one setup I would get many requests for other setups. Testing (when I do not have the hardware [digital multimeters]) and support would be a nightmare!

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 pm

Duly removed. A fine effort nevertheless if I may say so :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: Roast Temperature Data Logger - Testers required

Postby liyang » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:14 pm

GreenBean wrote:I have tested the program on the following so far:

Maplin Precision Gold NF56U Multimeter with USB interface (this is a rebadged All-Sun EM6000)

Does anything in this http://img.ly/1HD look familiar? I think we should talk.

Cheers,
/Liyang
liyang

Re: Roast Temperature Data Logger - Testers required

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:20 am

liyang wrote:
GreenBean wrote:I have tested the program on the following so far:

Does anything in this http://img.ly/1HD look familiar? I think we should talk.

Cheers,
/Liyang

Yes it does Liyang!8) If you want a copy of the data logger send me a PM with your email address.

GreenBean

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques