Today i will do my first coffee roasting!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Today i will do my first coffee roasting!

Postby givo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:14 pm

:P yes, i will start to be a home coffee roaster after years of buying supermarket coffee beans. I have green beans without any special equipment so i will try to roast them in an electric chip pan that rotates that i have bought many years ago:

givo

RE: Today i will do my first coffee roasting!

Postby triptogenetica » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:28 pm

good luck! Let us know how it goes - perhaps a chip-pan may turn out to be an ideal home roaster :)
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby zix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Please keep us posted. Me and triptogenetica are curious!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Joris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:34 pm

what they ^^ said, it looks like it could do the job.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby givo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:58 am

No, it doesn't worked :( because there isn't a direct contact of the coffee with the hot metal, so temperature too low even if the metal was at 200°C
I used my second alternative, this:

It's very heavy and i kept the beans in motion for 14 minutes. I left half beans roasting for another 10 minutes. Now i have to test those beans...
First problem was: how to remove completely all the shaff?
Last edited by givo on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
givo

Postby zix » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 pm

no image in your last post - what is it?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Bombcup » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:40 pm

A good way to remove the chaff is to get two sieves and repeatedly tip the beans from one to the other at full stretch outside in the garden. You should find all the chaff blows away and the beans cool to ambient temperature in a couple of minutes.
Bombcup

Postby zix » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:00 am

Ahh, a frying pan!
This is fine for roasting, but your oven can do it just as well - or perhaps better. As long as your oven can be set to a temperature of 250 °C, it is usable.
Regarding chaff, you can also pour it over on a full size oven tray, shake it for a bit, to the sides and up/down, then blow off the chaff.
Then again, chaff is not to worry about. It is very discrete in its taste, which means you won't be able to sense it unless there is an awful lot of it. And it doesn't harm your grinder.
zix

Postby zix » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:15 am

Hey givo, where are the heaters in your chip pan? On top or in the bottom? If they are too weak, you could either help them with extra heating, or simply shut them off and use another heataer.

You already have a stirrer mechanism in the bottom, and the shape of the "drum" looks good.

One thing you could do, which would be almost guaranteed to work, would be to cut off the heater function but keep the stirring function. Then take the lid off and instead mount a simple metal lid with a hole in it. Through the hole you stick a hot air gun.

Perhaps you need to make the stirring vane larger too - at least if you want to roast a decent amount of coffee. It is hard to see in the image how large it is.
zix

Postby givo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:33 am

It's not exactly a simple frying pan, it's a tick heavy piece of cast iron that absorb a lot of heat and has a pyrex lid. The oven reaches 190°C but the beans don't tuch the metal base because they are in the rotating drum. I think to modify it removing the drum and putting a metal arm connected to the motor so that it rotates and keep the beans in motion.

I've tested the beans: first 14 minutes batch was undrinkable, tasted like citric acid, but....second 23 minutes batch was good :D . Now i can say i'm a home coffee roaster 8)
givo

Postby givo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:19 pm

I've done a second roast at higher temperature so it took less time, 14 min to do the job of the 23min in the first roast, that is basically until the 2nd crack begins.
givo

Postby givo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 pm

After testing the beans i'm very satisfied with the results. Overall the home coffee roasting is an easy and cheap task and most importantly it makes possible to explore by yourself what the coffee really is.
givo

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques