Degassing in a one-way-valve bag

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Degassing in a one-way-valve bag

Postby voice_of_reason » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:25 pm

This may seem like a stupid question - but can I seal my roasted beans in one of those silver one-way-valve bags as soon as they're cool?

I wasn't sure if the bag just kept the beans in their best condition after they've degassed, or whether you can seal them in there immediately after they've cooled and allow them to completely degas for a couple of days through the valve.
voice_of_reason

RE: Degassing in a one-way-valve bag

Postby petikas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:33 pm

I think you can seal them as soon as they cool down. I don't homeroast myself but since the online quality roasters will ship to customers the same day they roast they must be sealing those beans asap.
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

RE: Degassing in a one-way-valve bag

Postby Gadders » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 am

Yes, you can - as soon as they're cool wack em in a silver bag, the CO2 will degas through the valve without letting the air at them :)
Gadders

Postby voice_of_reason » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks for the replies. I thought that might be the case (and that's what I did last night after roasting a batch!) I just wasn't sure whether the beans gave off a huge amount of CO2 to begin with which the valve wouldn't be able to cope with, or something daft like that!
voice_of_reason

Postby lukas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am

I can't help but think that letting them degas over night in slightly opened bags helps to develop the taste. I never did a real side-by-side test, but my impression is that the coffee tastes a little bit dampened when I seal the bag right after roasting ...
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Narra » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Yeah i know a bloke who lets his roasted coffee sit for 5-6 hours then bags it in non-valved lined kraft bag. The bags only just hold a kg of coffee so theres not much room for air anyways.

Plus side is the bags can recycled, unlike the foil valve bags.

Not sure of the tatse difference,
Narra

Postby voice_of_reason » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:04 pm

I might try letting them rest a bit before sealing the bags then to see if I can notice any difference in the taste. At this stage I wouldn't be sure whether it's down to the degassing process or just my sub-standard roasting! I'm still quite new to it but hopefully I'm improving with each roast!
voice_of_reason

Postby bruceb » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:16 pm

I let my beans rest in the cooling tray or in an open container overnight before dumping them into the grinder or bagging them to sell. I don't do this out of conviction, but rather out of habit. I tried all different treatments and was unable to detect a difference. The most important thing is to use them up within about 10 days and not subject them to extreme temperatures or sunlight.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Let them rest for 12 hours and then bag them up. Valves are a waste of effort and money. So if you can find non-valved lined kraft bags like Narras friend, then use them.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby voice_of_reason » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:45 am

JulieJayne wrote:Let them rest for 12 hours and then bag them up. Valves are a waste of effort and money. So if you can find non-valved lined kraft bags like Narras friend, then use them.

What makes them a waste of effort and money? I don't find using them a lot of effort, I've found them to be a good cheap method of storing my roasted beans as they're reusable and not exactly expensive to start with anyway. I assumed the addition of the valve could only help matters? At the very least I didn't think it would cause any harm to the beans.
voice_of_reason

Postby lukas » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 am

With Kraft bags are we talking simple paper or paper-plastic bags? I tried using them, but after very few days, the aroma and taste of the beans was completely gone ...
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby JulieJayne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:52 pm

lukas wrote:With Kraft bags are we talking simple paper or paper-plastic bags? I tried using them, but after very few days, the aroma and taste of the beans was completely gone ...
Once the bags are opened, the aroma will be lost and it makes little difference what sort of packing you use.

Valves won't harm the beans, but won't help either. And valves cost money.
The most important thing is that the bag is resealable, minimum zip lock, but best heatsealed. In either case you need to remove the air every time, and vacuum also removes some aroma.

Use the smallest practical bags. Vaccum, seal, and once reopened, drink the coffee.
JulieJayne

Postby Olings » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 pm

We seal all our coffee right after roasting and the beans have cooled down. They keep better that way we think.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby JulieJayne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Olings wrote:We seal all our coffee right after roasting and the beans have cooled down. They keep better that way we think.
Ola
Totally agree with you. But once the seal is broken, the only option is to drink the coffee. ASAP.
JulieJayne

Postby Olings » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I disagree that you have to drink it ASAP as long as you open and drink it within 3 - 4 weeks after roasting.

The bag will not stop the coffee from aging it's just better than letting it lie around being exposed to oxygen.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques