Behmor 1600: first look

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 am

From my reading of the American sites I learned that they have a nightmare variation in voltage almost everywhere. Anything between 107 to 130volts that also vary during the roast. Our 230/240volt system seems more stable even allowing for mealtimes, washing, school out etc.
Joe's experience is with the US system and I guess even he is pleasantly surprised at how much better we are off here.

I think it is too soon to start a sticky 'Behmor Profiles only' thread but as more and more of us gain experience, it will come. All I can suggest now is keep a sharp eye on your roast and keep a log. I tend to add a couple of + + to the roast in order to have a little leeway but so far they have always been cancelled when I need to hit the Cool button.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:36 am

Stickying this so that it is easily accessible.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:39 am

Yeah, we'll probably have to start some separate threads too though, as this one is getting a little long.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby johnwx » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:20 am

Well thanks Steve mine arrived today :D
Thanks to this thread two roastes performed, thought I would share them with you as it may help build the picture for those still to buy.

With my Cafe Gene I take this just into first pops of 2nd crack before hitting cool cycle.

1st
8oz of finest Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira Canario 2008-2009
program 1 A ++ 2nd crack not reached beans still tan in colur and not as required but a good start.

2nd Roast
8oz of finest Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira Canario 2008-2009
program 2, + this gave a displayed time of 14min 15 sec
Rolling 2nd crack was at 14min when cooling was manually started.
Result a little dark but not by much and plan to lead the machine by about 30 seconds next time. so will try
8oz P2 --- which should give displayed time of 13min 30sec. expect the beans to just enter 2nd crack on cooldown.
Will keep you posted
johnwx

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques