Guidance on a roater, please.

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Guidance on a roater, please.

Postby NottmSteve » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:57 pm

Ok, like my post in the other forum about a drip machine, I am coming to terms with life after espresso. Basically, I just cna't make the stuff to the standard I like it. I'm too clap handed!

I now have to revise my set up to fit my tastes. I drink black coffee as it comes, by the mug.

I have an old hearthware roaster that burns beans like a furnace. I'm looking to upgrade. Money isn't the issue, it is more down to ease of use, and batch size.

I would like a roaster that:

1) Is very easy to use and get consistant results without resorting to profiling, patience, study, and wizadry. I like my coffee a lot, but I haven't time to learn the art of roasting.
2) Batch size. My wife avoids the stuff so I have to have a machine that roasts about half a normal supermarket bag full. Any more and it goes stale.
3) As I don't get through a huge amount of beans, I wont have the ability to fine tune my roasting skill with each variety as I wont have the volume to experiment. I want to try a lot of types of bean, so I will have a little of a lot. For that reason I need a machine that will be as fool proof as possible to get it right each time. Something that will move between varieties, and make it easy for me to get a good result first time!
4) Infequent use... I thought the hottop, but I'm worried it may be too big, and built for someone who uses much more coffee than me. My machine will get a bit of use, now and then. But, when I do use it, I want it to be good! It would take a long long time to pay back the cost of a hottop, and I'd probably be better off buying small batches of roasted from a good supplier?! at the rate I use coffee the postage hits would take a while to reach the levels of a hottop! That may be an option!

Cash isn't a factor, it just comes down to what will give me the above.
Help!

thanks
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

RE: Guidance on a roater, please.

Postby bruceb » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:49 pm

A subscription from HasBean sounds like the perfect solution for you.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Guidance on a roater, please.

Postby GreenBean » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:21 pm

bruceb wrote:A subscription from HasBean sounds like the perfect solution for you.

Excellent suggestion. It fits all your requirements and has the further advantage that it will be the cheapest option as well. :)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Guidance on a roater, please.

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:06 pm

Yep. Agree with the above and that no roaster will give you what you want.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:47 pm

Yup, I concur too.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:15 am

Cool. Me too. One a month could be a bit too less, so just take two ;)
It always surprises me what Steve picks for the next pack - he seems to learn my tastes better than me!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby NottmSteve » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:55 pm

what he picks... do you have a standing order to just send the stuff?
Like a magazine subscription?

Surprise parcel every "x" weeks?
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:39 pm

Yes that's basically it Steve. I think you get a bag a month per subscription, and just like with a magazine, the content is a surprise. I would imagine it reduces the chance of ever running out of coffee as a result of forgetting to place an order, and is quite exciting too wondering what might arrive.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques