my VBM doesn't like electricity

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

my VBM doesn't like electricity

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 am

question for the techs here: my VBM made my differential jump this morning - some sort of short circuit in the machine. Anything I can do except take it to a repair shop?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

RE: my VBM doesn

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:20 am

maybe checking if there're any lose wires?
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby Sarion » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Raf. Not sure what you mean by "made my differential jump", but my machine short-circuited due to a busted heating element. Every time I switched the machine on, all the power in my house went out. Replaced the element, and all was well again...
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:24 am

sounds like you're on to something, sarion

where do I find that heating element?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Re: RE: my VBM doesn

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:01 am

Raf wrote:sounds like you're on to something, sarion

where do I find that heating element?

Raf, you're probably aware of the following site, but I'll post it for future lurkers, who may look in the Roasting Forum for VBM stuff :o

http://www.espressocare.com/VibiemmeMain.html

Cumbers
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Re: RE: my VBM doesn

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 am

There are many things that can happen to any electrical appliance that will cause a short circuit. In espresso machines a deteriorated heating element in the boiler will take in water, causing it to short. This is, however, only one possibility. The mains plug and cord may be damaged, a wire may have come off the mains switch and be touching metal, the coil in a solenoid valve may have developed a short and on and on.

If you are going to do the diagnostic work yourself you will be successful much sooner if you have an ohm meter. Otherwise you will have to start disconnecting things and then plugging in the machine and see if the fuse blows or whatever. This is certainly counterproductive. If you don't know how to use an ohm meter and have little understanding of electricity it is undoubtedly best to have a professional do the work.

ALWAYS MAKE CERTAIN THE MACHINE IS NOT PLUGGED IN TO THE MAINS WHEN YOU OPEN IT AND WORK ON IT! ALWAYS! Getting a 230VAC shock is not only unpleasant, it can ruin your whole afternoon if it stops your heart from beating.

Perhaps you can tell us exactly what happens when you plug in and turn on the machine. Does the house fuse (or circuit breaker) blow immediately? Does the machine make any noise? Do you (or did you ) you see smoke or smell burning insulation? Does this just happen when you turn on the machine or already when you plug it in?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:05 pm

to answer your questions, bruce:

the house fuse blows when I plug it in (I think, might have been when I switched it on). I'll find VBM repair person in Brussels and bring the machine in for servicing.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:59 pm

If that happens most probably there's a short circuit...You;ve got an earth wire right?
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:27 pm

Raf, it it blows when you just plug it in and it is turned off it is probably just the plug or cord. If it blows when you turn it on then it is something internal. Do you have an Aeropress for the interrim? :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:56 pm

French press I have.

BTW I miss your kitten with the melon skin on its head. You were years ahead of lolcats, mate!

sorry I haven't been around lately (found a new addiction: online poker!)

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:55 pm

it was the heating element that gave a short circuit; my father in law replaced it - was easy enough it seems (for him! I would probably have killed myself trying to repair it)

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:16 am

Is it me or is my espresso colder than it used to be after my father in law changed the heating element? Can I dial the brew temp up a notch on my VBM? Or is that a factory setting?

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sarion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:18 am

Either a thermostat or a pressurestat regulates the temperature, shouldn't have anything to do with the element. I couldn`t find if a normal Domobar has a pressurestat (see here http://tinyurl.com/2q5kcc), but if it does, you can adjust it. If it has a thermostat (http://www.1st-line.com/images/isomac/t ... mostat.jpg), you can't adjust it.
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques