Green roasting advice

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Green roasting advice

Postby Terysx » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:16 pm

i-Roast 2, Macap M2 grinder, LaScala Butterfly HX, black espresso only drinker, have roasted for about 5 months’

A few months agu I purchased both roasted and green beans of Brazil Sítio Das Jaboticabas-José Antônio Nascimen, Steve’s roast (Hasbean) was superb, it took me a Kilo to get about half way to what Steve produced and another Kilo to where I could say ”not as good but a really good cup”.
At the same time I purchased Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira Canario Dried on Screen This for me is producing an exception cup of espresso.

I ordered the following beans from Steve yesterday, they arrived today!!
My question is, can you guy’s and gal’s offer any advice on roasting

Brazil Inglaterra Special Fazenda Toca da Onca
Indian Peaberry Bold
Cuba Turquino Lavardo
El Salvador Finca La Fany Bourbon
Old Brown Java (ref OBJ2)

Any advice or observations woul be helpful
Thank you
:?:
Terysx

RE: Green roasting advice

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm sure you'll get some great advice on the individual beans, but I just want to remind you that you will never achieve the same kind of roast with a fluid-bed (hot-air) roaster as Steve achieves with his gas-powered, radiant heat roasters. I don't mean to say "not as good," I just mean there will always be a difference. Whenever I pull out my old Heathware Precision I realise that the same beans that I roast in the HotTop are much "top heavier" when roasted with the fluid-bed roaster. By that I mean that the bright, light notes are accentuated whereas the deeper, darker, roastier aromas are far more attenuated.

Besides that, Mr. HB is a magician and you can't fight magic with hot air. :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby zix » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:46 pm

The old brown java can often stand more than you think when looking at it. It smells a bit different when roasting. But usually turns out good in the end, wild, earthy, a bit smoky. You may find it extra good in combination with an ethiopian or a yemen coffee. The OBS may overwhelm the (usually) softer, creamier central americans (your Cuba, El Salvador and possibly Brazil although it doesn't usually qualify as a central american taste-wise. But I don't know how HB classifies his particular ones).
Maybe the india coffee together with, say, one of the central americans, could balance out OBS heaviness.

Regarding roasting, well, wet-processed central americans and south americans are usually easy to roast, but you probably know this already. Take it easy on the central americans (don't go too dark), unless HB tells you otherwise. Peaberrys are small and have a different roast profile so watch them closely while roasting, especially at the end, lest you want to end up with charcoal. And don't worry about the OBS roast smell and how it behaves, it is going to be fine - really. Watch it, listen for the cracks, watch again, and enjoy. Have fun!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Zix thats exactly what I would have said, thats good advice, now where that copy and paste for emails :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zix » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:02 am

Wow, thanks!
Confirmation from mr Roast himself, not bad!
(visitors will soon see a new picture in the best frame in our living room... a printed screen shot of this page, and below that, the words: "we hereby declare mr.... my signature... as Roaster of the first degree. He is entitled to wear the Bean Spangled bonnet and the Rotating Drum epaulettes". Then they'll see me... and perhaps it is best to leave the rest to the imagination of the reader)
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby icke » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:34 am

well, most visitors whom find out that i roast coffee myself think that i'm a little weird... i hope your visitors are a bit more tolerant... ;)

btw. your advise has been pasted into my little coffee wisdom knowledge base....
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques