New Hearthware

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New Hearthware

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:32 pm

I am really curious about this new Hearthware roaster. I really like the roasting profile feature, and the built in thermometer! YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!! I feel vindicated :lol:

Steve, I am not in the market for a HT at the moment. I want to wait for the first user experiences on the new Hearthware before I decide what I want.

Are there more interested people? Btw with the dollar this low, it is going to be attractively priced I think.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Oh dear

Postby phil » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:42 pm

If you feel vindicated, lord only knows what you think the thermometer's for ..... :lol:
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:50 pm

I'm looking forward to the new Heath and I hopefully will be stocking it (heaven knows I'd like to try and distribute these as well as the hot top as the current importer is V V V V bad for the home roasting mrket.
Steve
Founder Member

Yay

Postby phil » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:52 pm

Top man
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:10 am

Just today, I read about the Hearthware I-Roast. It was all so clear-cut before -- I should get a Hottop! Now, with the difference in price, the I-Roast is looking pretty darn attractive. Any idea about availability in the EU?

Does anybody own a Hearthware Precision? Been happy with it?
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:10 am

I use the hearthware for my sample roasting now and I'm pleased with it. I have sold loads of them now and never had any returns (as he grabs to touch wood and gets a hand full of splinters :D ).

EU distrubtion dont know anything yet. The UK people are bad bad bad. I've had to resort to importing them from Germany (which seems to be a hot be of home roasting in Europe). If I find any thnig out I'll let you know
Steve
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:40 am

Right on, Eeffoc. Thanks. I see that the Precision is available in Spain. As to how long before the I-Roast is available, one can only hope it's released at the same time as it is in the U.S. I'm really missing my personal roasting sessions I used to have (I'm sure you know the scenerio - crisp October Sunday morning, smell of fresh-roasted coffee permeating the home, contemplative sipping while watching the leaves turn color).

Okay, now I'm getting homesick for Seattle...here in Portugal, it's still 22 degrees, and everything is still green. :(
DrZeus

Postby Raf » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:32 am

Could someone maybe include a link to this wonderful I-Roast, so that I can look at the specs?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:37 am

I found it here http://www.hearthware.com/kit_roaster.html#

Hope thats ok
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:01 am

Eeffoc, you say you use the HWP as a sample roaster. Do you feel that roaster is adequate enough to give a good impression of the beans? I don't know if you ever tried the IMEX, but I found the IMEX, as you know, not quite as good as the HT.
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:12 am

I aggree it is difficult to get a perfect impresion of the beans but its an impressipon all the same. I also agree its not as good as the Hottop, its very simular to the imex IMHO. But I got a hearthware very cheep recently to go with the Imex as a pair of sample roasters and have leaned towards useing the Hearth (not really sure why so cant give you a clear answer).

I'd love a Hottop but we all know about the problems of getting one from a reputable supplier :D
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:29 am

Fair enough. Will you attempt to become a (grey) importer of the new Hearthware roaster? This is not a request, just a question.
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:42 pm

The specs on that HW look very good indeed, but I'm a bit curious about reliability and durability (if that's the word I want). Otherwise, it looks like it could seriously harm the HT's chances.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:24 pm

Phil, did you speak with Shelley about the new HW? What did she think of it? Surely the HT has to come down in price now! (Hope over expectation...)
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:13 pm

No I haven't spoken to Shelly but I need to as I have a "sales" enquiry from someone who may want one and wants to know how cheaply I could get it. I was thinking of doing a poll and seeing how many definite orders I could get together and then doing a Randy Glass group buy thing, but this I-roast (which is currently, for all practical purposes, vapourware as it hasn't shipped anywhere yet and even Tom Owen hasn't published a review of the prototype) has really put the cat among the pigeons.

Myself, as Hugh and John may have guessed if they've been keeping up to date with the SM list, I'm going to get an Extech EA15 datalogging dual thermocouple thermometer. That way I can do the repeatability thing and publish my profiles on the forum.

And Sunnyfield, not a word from you if you know what's good for you, OK? :lol:
phil
Founder Member

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques