Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please.

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please.

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 pm

I've been meaning to try the bourbon, for some years and 2kg from HB have arrived together with my usual Monsooned. Tried TMC search engine for this bean but not much luck. I'll be roasting tomorrow or Friday.

First question : is 1st, 2nd and Rolling 2nd readily detectable or does 2 and R2 combine?

For espresso, I normally take monsooned about 20 secs into R2 before dumping and aim for a Lt Vienna roast.

My experience with Central Americans in the past is thus : if I abort the roast before R2, my taste buds detect a brightness and acidity, which I detest.

In fairness, I haven't tried that many CA's and my stash is mainly monsooned plus a few Ethiopians (?)!! So the 2nd questions is : has anyone ventured this far into the roast with bourbon and not ended up with baked beans? TIA
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please.

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:10 am

Into the first pops of second but not too far on fpr me. Nice sweetness if itsnopt too dark.
Steve
Founder Member

Re: RE: Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please.

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:49 am

Steve wrote:Into the first pops of second but not too far on fpr me. Nice sweetness if itsnopt too dark.

Thanks Steve, I'll try that on Friday, much appreciated. The problem I have is firstly, I'm a bit colour blind and I also have difficulties in detecting subtle changes of smell in the late roast. So I rely very much on sound.

As you know, the cooling tray on the Hottie is very efficient and the beans don't continue cooking much longer, post dump. I may try two back-to-back roasts, one at your suggested first pops of 2nd and another say, 20 secs into 2nd. I could split each batch in two and freeze half. I could post pics, but my 7 yr old Finepix, needs buckets of sunshine, to get decent results.
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Re: RE: Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please.

Postby espressomattic » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 pm

Hey QC

I am a lighter roast man myself and like my Brazillians just before 2C. I have roasted this before to a darker roast, ie a slight rolling second and it ruined the beans and all that was acheived was a roast flavour. They can't really handle a full on roast like monsooned beans.

I would agree with steve that the first few pops, literally, of second and you should be able to blot out some of that acidity.

the again this bean is not too acidic if I recall and is fairly sweet.

Dare I also suggest you try it at a lighter roast just so you can see? Go on Quinten, be brave, be brave :D
espressomattic

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:47 am

As I remember with this bean and using an HT, the cracks tend to combine. I don't think I got the best out of mine first roast.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby fred25 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 am

Yes, we need to save you from the Dark Lord's influence....Before you know it you'll be in a dark cellar, all glazed eyes and dishelved look, adding charcoal to a bubbling cauldron for that 'special roast taste' whilst mumbling incoherent incantations to yourself.... :P
fred25

Re: RE: Re: RE: Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please.

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:16 am

fred25 wrote:Yes, we need to save you from the Dark Lord's influence....Before you know it you'll be in a dark cellar, all glazed eyes and dishelved look, adding charcoal to a bubbling cauldron for that 'special roast taste' whilst mumbling incoherent incantations to yourself.... :P

Like Dom you mean? :P :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks Matt, George and Fred. I was rather hoping for a bit of sunshine this morning, to inject a bit of heat into the garage (corrugated iron roof) but no luck. RH 70% and ambient 11C - brrr.
First Roast, I did a 225g roast at 9am, 1st crack 16.30sec. 2nd (and dump) 18.40sec.
2nd Roast, ditto size, ambient etc, 1st crack 17.00sec. 2nd 19.20sec. R2 20.00sec. Dump 20.10.

I'm pretty sure I detected Rolling 2 (high pitch, rapid cracks) I simply had to try a monsooned, haraar etc, type roast, for comparison and old habits die hard.

Initial obs : A lot less smoke with the first roast and a little less loose chaff. I'm a bit colour blind, but the differance in darkness between the two roasts roast is not as great as expected. Oh dear, I hope I haven't baked them both!

I would have preferred a bit of sunshine, and got some decent pics with my 'pointy-clicky' old camera. I'll see what I can do, using indoor flash, although I can't guarantee true colour depth. Zapty's bread and cooking pics (Off Topic) tickled the old taste buds, so I'll include a pic of some 'Coffee Biscotti' I made yesterday (yummy). It's now time to go FERLUNCH (for lunch).
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:41 am

CakeBoy wrote:
fred25 wrote:Yes, we need to save you from the Dark Lord's influence

Ha, if Dom lives in Lt Vienna, then tisri and I would reside in Full French :twisted:
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby fred25 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:56 am

cumberpach wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:
fred25 wrote:Yes, we need to save you from the Dark Lord's influence

Ha, if Dom lives in Lt Vienna, then tisri and I would reside in Full French :twisted:

You're all doomed, the lot of you!!!

You'll be condemned for all eternity to drink endless cups of self-refilling nescafe original as payment for going in search of that elusive 'third crack'....

Oh, ill-minded, misguided fools! :P :cry: ;)
fred25

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please.

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:17 pm

You mean there is a second crack? :shock: :wink: :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby fred25 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:01 pm

I don't really know, I usually grind straight from the greens... Just to be on the safe side, you know! :)

(they say the second crack is the sound of your soul being crushed.... :twisted: ;) After that come head-spinning fumes, and the dark gates open....)
fred25

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:43 pm

Quite right Fred. Roasting is for namby-pambys. Real men drink greens! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:50 pm

Okay doky, took some pics of the beans and biccies and here are some bullet points :-

1. The beans on the left are marginaly darker and those are the ones taken to 10secs into rolling 2nd.
2. The beans on the right were taken to first cracks of 2nd.
3. I'll post later, but the Biscotti contains, sugar, flour, eggs, ground coffee, butter, roasted and ground almonds, a colony of ants and 2 earwigs - just like a roaster, you should never leave a tray of biscuits unattended!!!
3. The coffee jar is being used to cover a scorch mark on the tabletop. It contains TEA. HB Steve (tattos, stubble, MP3 etc) sells TEA. Therefore tea = street cred. Just in case anyone thought there was something else in it. :)

http://tinyurl.com/2em7o4

http://tinyurl.com/366xz8
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Brazil Daterra Bourbon advice please

Postby fred25 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

cumberpach wrote:The coffee jar is being used to cover a scorch mark on the tabletop. It contains TEA. HB Steve (tattos, stubble, MP3 etc) sells TEA. Therefore tea = street cred

I've got to disagree with you there. Steve selling tea is the price he pays for roasting such great coffee - the amount of shame necessary to balance out his wondrous coffee-related activities!

This ensures that unlike Icarus, he won't roast his wings, though according to some reports his headphones weren't so lucky :P

Aside from that, your roasts look very good - just as good you're keeping an eye on the biscottis, 'cos CakeBoy can't be that far! :)
fred25

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques