wooo got me a gene cafe!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

wooo got me a gene cafe!

Postby Chivalry » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:50 pm

finaly a step up from the old popcorn maker... which in itself (considering it cost 10 quid) did a sterling job .... all the hassle did tend to put me off roasting much (still got some green beans from 2 or 3 years ago.. monsoon malabar gold no less!! wonder if there still usable?)
So Paulgab was kind enough to throw in a big bag of Brazil deterra blend green beans with the machine... and wonderd if anyone has any ideas the best way to roast these? profile or sumthin? :)
If u think the malabar would still be ok to roast maybe a profile for them also? never used a proper roaster b4 so a bit in the dark as to the best way to go about it all.... cheers :)
Chivalry

RE: wooo got me a gene cafe!

Postby HughF » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:06 pm

I just roasted the last 226g of my Summer 2005 El Salvador Miel today (I overlooked it for 2 years!) and it has been very nice right to the end - but that was not for espresso use. I'd say it's definitely worth a try though.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Cas » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:48 pm

I had a leaflet given to me with my order of Malabar Gold. Here's what they say about it...

We recommend that MG be roasted to 'full city'; darkest you can roast before any oil shows on the freshly roasted beans. In this lighter roast, varietal features of the coffee beans in the blend are preserved. Use of low acid coffees, such as the Monsooned coffees, is critical for employing a light roast.

In one Sivetz type air roaster, the bean temperature reaches 457 deg F. The temperature setting will vary from roaster to roaster depending on the machine design. In practice, you may have to take it into the second crack to find the point at which it oils in your particular roaster and then back off for subsequent roasts.

Malabar Gold benefits immensely from resting for about 72 hours after roasting for the flavours to develop. It would take longer if the beans are stored in a one-way valve bag immediately after they are roasted, while they are still quite warm.

Malabar Gold requires to be ground finer than most other blends to produce a quality espresso.

Hope this helps and you enjoy it. It's not to everyone's tastes.
Reneka Techno V2M ~ Mazzer Mini E ~ Swiss Gold
Cas

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques