Gene Cafe stops midroast

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gene Cafe stops midroast

Postby JulieJayne » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:44 pm

I have only had my Gene Cafe for a few weeks now, but was surprised yesterday that it stopped in the middle of a roast. 7 mins into 15.

The beans were very chaffy. But a sudden stop didn't seem to be a good idea, I had smoke pouring out of everywhere, and was afraid that it would catch fire.

After 5 minutes, it started to respond again and I was able to engage the cooling cycle.

Is this normal, has anyone else had this problem?
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby GreenBean » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi JulieJayne,

Well it is not normal, I have done over 200 roasts in my Gene and never had a problem with it other than heaters failing but this does not cause a complete stop just stops heating.

You say it stopped, could you describe in more detail what stopped i.e. do you mean no rotation, no heat, no panel display? Or was the display still working?
The Gene displays error codes on the panel for anticipated failures one of these is E2 which indicates a temperature reading more than 255 degrees which it assumes to be a fire.

The manual is not clear on this but I assume it would cut power to everything but the panel to avoid fanning the flames. Could this be what happened?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby oddlight » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:39 pm

I also think this sounds like the over temp cutout operating.

Another possibility is that the heater has gone, which will show an error code (E4 from memory?) after a few minutes and you wouldn't get any heat on subsequent roasts ;) (so easy to diagnose!)

It would only be a problem if it occurs frequently, or when there clearly isn't any chaff blocking the drum exit.

Cheers,

Andy
oddlight

Postby JulieJayne » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, but no they are not the answer.

7-8 minutes into a roast, temperature, was 215, and it stopped! Dead Stop. No rotation, no fan no display. I tried to restart the display, but every time I pressed the on button, it flashed on then off again, with no effect.

After about 5 minutes, the on button responded normally again.

Subsequent roasts of other coffees have proceeded without a hitch. But I am a little scared to put a chaffy coffee in again, in case this happens once more, with more "inflammable" results.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:05 am

We had it once .... lost all power. No idea why but it has not happened again.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am

Assuming that you had not forgotten to empty the chaff collector for several roasts on a row I suggest you do another roast with the same coffee in the garden with the chaff collector removed. If it happens again you know that the thermal cutout is shot.

Just looked inside my chaff collector, needs cleaning as the perforated screen is coated with a brown deposit. Long soak in PulyCaff should sort that out.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques