How far you can go with ...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How far you can go with ...

Postby lukas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Today I tried to increase the batch-size of my roasts again. After getting new greens from the Roestbar in Muenster (imported by InterAmerican Coffee, the bags say 'Yirgacheffe' and 'Kenya AA' :)). So, I went with 500g green beans, and the cover of my cast iron thingy open.
Everything went really well, roasted a blend of 60% Yirg and 40% Java, until ... well, right as second crack began to get audible I heard a loud, and I mean really loud BEEEEP BEEEEEP BEEEEEP BEEEEEP that scared the hell out of me because I didn knew what it was!

Took me a few seconds to figure out it was the smoke detector in the corridor. I was very lucky to have a friend with me 'cause he stirred on while I tried to disarm that damn loud neighbour waking alarm!

Now I have a very dark roast and my heart is just recovering from the shock. But hey, I can evenly roast 500g batches in 18 minutes :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Re: How far you can go with ...

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:13 pm

lukas wrote:Now I have a very dark roast and my heart is just recovering from the shock. But hey, I can evenly roast 500g batches in 18 minutes :)

It's not a new idea. My wife has been stir frying for years, using the smoke detector as a cooking guage. The alarm goes off, the dog wags it's tale and we all head for the dinner table :D

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques