My new hot air roaster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

My new hot air roaster

Postby zapty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:43 am

Check out the link to my web album, I just received a cute little hot air roaster made by Siemens that works like a charm, just finished the first roast with it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/raver171/NewAlbum6907921
Attachments
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG (38.37 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

RE: My new hot air roaster

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am

Hmmm.... dunno about that "N" word on it :? :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby zapty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Well, the N word doesn't do the roasting, besides that minor flaw I think it is quite the little gem. I didn't know what to expect when I bought it on the German Fleabay. It had NEVER even been used, new out of the box. There is further no info available that I can find either, it obviously was produced once but maybe the N people realised it would be very detrimental to their business (once people had tasted real fresh coffee they'd never buy their product again)and discontinued it in a flash.
I'm happy that I found and bought it, it is a small, working relic of the past...well made too by the way (by Siemens)
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Any comments on the roast yet Patrick? 14mins for 100gm to 2C seems fairly slow to me. Definitely one for the collection though, particularly given the branding!
D
Gouezeri

Postby Aadje » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:35 pm

This time my computer somehow is able to open the gallery, great pics!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby zapty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:38 pm

I've not tasted the beans yet, they've just been roasted a few hours ago. In a couple days I will though.
Glad it worked for you Aadje and glad you liked the pics...
zapty

Postby ivdp » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:53 am

This little machine was available during 1990.
It is used with special paper filter to contain chaff. New filter papers were impossible to find.
System gets very hot and removing the glass chamber without gloves is a bitch.
My glass broke while trying to handle the pot without gloves.
Was never able to find a new glass pot, but than Hearthware came along with the Precision roaster ...

Ivo
ivdp

Postby zapty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 pm

Thanks for the info Ivo, you're a champ..
zapty

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Come on Patrick, give them beans a taste and let us know what they are like, you know you want to :D
Gouezeri

Postby zapty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:58 pm

Well Dom, I do want to, here goes, first of all once ground the beans (excellent organic Sidamo) exuded a intense bright and sweet fragrance; berries, stone fruits and some spices like cilantro and lemon grass and a hint of caramel/molasses. The taste is a little brighter and a touch more acidity is in it when compared to drum style roasting imo, lots of berries and a hint of dried apricot and then again some caramel and or molasses but still smooth and bright with a little bit of lime flavor and a chocolaty finish.
Quite nice already but it needs to rest a little more in order to reach it's top yet I think.

By the way, once the cooling cycle is completed you can remove the glass and metal lid barehanded without any trouble at all.
zapty

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Sounds good Zappers!
How long is the cooling cycle?
Personally I think there is a place for this kind of roaster in the "average kitchen" alongside other appliances such as bread makers, juicers etc. I know that most of us look for more and are prepared to make room for much bigger appliances, but a small roaster, capable of roasting quickly and relatively simply, is a great tool. The market remains small though, as most people are still happy drinking rubbish.
Gouezeri

Postby zapty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:23 pm

I agree fully with you Dom about the ease of use and need for such a little roaster in the average home kitchen but as more and more people are buying horrid ready made food (dinner) I doubt enough of them would use it. The cooling cycle is about six minutes or so if I recall right, the beans themself cool quite rapidly but the glass and metal lid take a little longer to cool so the full cycle of approximately 6 minutes takes care of that.
zapty

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques