I think I may be going slightly mad...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby beansmeanshighs » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks Bruce , I`m on the same lines as you. I have an analogue hottop which works great apart from the batch size. Hence looking for a bigger batch roaster. Torrefattora auto or manual . The auto instructions look like a manual to me. Confused.......
beansmeanshighs

Postby zapty » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:42 pm

I agree with both these grumpy old men (Bruce and George) and yes, the Maggio requires a little more attention then a Hottop. The Hottop will dump the beans at a set roasting time (ready or not) or it will let you extend the roast a little longer.
A roaster like the Maggio will not dump by itself, it needs the operator to watch, listen, smell and decide when to dump. The slightly larger batch size (400 grams) and the fact that you can immediately start another roast after dumping the previous one (it irritated me to always have to wait so long for the Hottop to finish its cooling cycle and then wait some more before starting another roast). The Hottop is a fun toy though and personally I'd buy it anytime over the Genecafe.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Teme » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:01 pm

Thanks for images Zapty. Do you feel that the Maggio has enough power? I've read a lot about many of the electrical roasters being underpowered. For example, have you measured how quickly you can ramp up to e.g. 150C after insterting the beans (and can you then easily slow down for a milder profile)?

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby zapty » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:15 am

Well, the power issue is not an issue to me. I can roast well with the Maggio in spite of the obvious limitations of electrically heated as compared to gas heated. Yes, most if not all electrically heated roasters are underpowered when compared to gas heated roasters and the Maggiolino is no exception to this rule. Maybe you should just consider getting a gas heated one...
Even the electrically heated professional Probat three barrel sample roaster that I have up and running, though it works exceptionally well, would obviously lack in comparison to a gas heated one. There is just no way that a electrical roaster can be as instantly and accurately controlled as a gas heated one. The reaction time for one is much slower.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby the_deal_maker » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:59 am

@ Teme

Hello Teme,

do you know the rough price point of the Roure E1-A? This roaster is quiet interesting
and could replace / complete my Gene.

Best,
- Malte
the_deal_maker

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:09 pm

Welcome to TMC Malte :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 pm

Welcome to the madhouse Malte! Cakey, wait until you see his kitlist :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:47 pm

Cool :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Walter » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:10 am

Welcome, Malte... ;)
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby egraaf » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:36 pm

Has anyone on the forum looked at converting a barbecue to a coffee roaster with something like what they sell at www.rkdrums.com?

I don't care for the increased capacity since 250 grams a week is enough for me, but it looks a lot more robust than most small roasters.

Just a thought.
egraaf

Postby Teme » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 pm

the_deal_maker wrote:do you know the rough price point of the Roure E1-A?

Hi Malte,

Not 100% sure of the price point, but I think it is around 2500 euros...

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby matts » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm

egraaf wrote:Has anyone on the forum looked at converting a barbecue to a coffee roaster with something like what they sell at www.rkdrums.com?

I have been doing this for some years now and whilst I'm always tempted by the nice looking pro type sample roasters the cost is eyewatering compared to what it cost to put my BBQ roaster together, and it is absolutely bulletproof. It's a garage activity, but it's controllable, and fits perfectly in the capacity gap as far as I'm concerned, my typical roast is 500-700/800g if it's a busy week...but can also do less 300g or so about the minimum.

Crappy page I put together 5 (?) years ago about it
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/m4t ... aster.html

I'm a total convert - should get more attention this side of the pond

Cheers
Matt
matts

Postby egraaf » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:23 am

matts wrote:
egraaf wrote:Has anyone on the forum looked at converting a barbecue to a coffee roaster with something like what they sell at www.rkdrums.com?

I have been doing this for some years now and whilst I'm always tempted by the nice looking pro type sample roasters the cost is eyewatering compared to what it cost to put my BBQ roaster together, and it is absolutely bulletproof. It's a garage activity, but it's controllable, and fits perfectly in the capacity gap as far as I'm concerned, my typical roast is 500-700/800g if it's a busy week...but can also do less 300g or so about the minimum.

Crappy page I put together 5 (?) years ago about it
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/m4t ... aster.html

I'm a total convert - should get more attention this side of the pond

Cheers
Matt

Very good to read that it works so well for you. I have bookmarked your site, it is interesting reading.

It will be some time before I can get enough time and money together to build a BBQ roaster, but it seems to me that it would work better for me than once of the smaller home roasters available.

Cheers
Edwin
egraaf

Postby SlowRain » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 am

Sunnyfield wrote:Interesting list of small roasters. The 800N is produced by Yang-Chia Machine Works Co., Ltd. The 800N is part of their Feima Series.

http://feima.myweb.hinet.net/windos/w-03-07-800N.htm
http://www.feima.com.tw/

The photo of the 800N is the model that I bought. In their new brochure they have made some minor changes to the design.

I did a fair bit of Internet searching before buying my Feima 600N grinder, but I never found their company website. Thanks for the link.
SlowRain

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques