I think I may be going slightly mad...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I think I may be going slightly mad...

Postby Teme » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi guys,

I am possibly looking to buy a small drum roaster. I want full control of the roast and the machine should be built well enough to last me a good few years, including possible duty as sample roaster should I decide to setup a small business at some stage (this is a long story to be told later).

For now however, the roaster would need to be placed in the kitchen of my apartment (on a separate rolling table and vented outside with a flexible metal exhaust through a window). This sets some limitations with regards to the size as well as the heat source (I believe it is illegal to store propane in an apartment, not to mention issues with the home insurance should there be damage). Therefore the roaster has to be electric. The batch size should be at least 250 grams, 500 grams wouldn’t hurt but 1 kg is on the high side.

I have done some initial research and these are the roasters I have found so far:

* 800N (manufacturer?) – the same beast that Sunnyfield has
    * Coffee-Tech Artigiano
    * Coffee-Tech Maggiolino
    * Coffee-Tech Torrefattore
    * Diedrich HR-1
    * DiScaf TN-1
    * HasGaranti 1kg
    * Joper CR15
    * Lysander Baby 1kg
    * Mecamau Torrador Domestico
    * OZcaffé 2 kg
    * Pinhalense TC-0
    * Probat PRE-1
    * Probat Probatino
    * Qantik TC-150
    * Roure E1-A
    * San Franciscan SF-1
    * Toper Cafemino
    * US Roastercorp RH test roaster
Of these, I have ruled out a few due to the following reasons:

Only gas operated model available:
* 800N (manufacturer?)
* US Roastercorp RH test roaster

Too large in size:
* HasGaranti 1kg
* Lysander Baby 1kg
* OZcaffé 2 kg
* Probat Probatino
* Toper Cafemino

Batch size too small:
* Joper CR15
* Probat PRE-1
* Qantik TC-150

Batch size too large:
* Coffee-Tech Artigiano
* OZcaffé 2 kg

I would also drop the San Franciscan since it is even more expensive than the Diedrich and I am not sure if it is available in an European voltage version. I have also read some negative things about the Coffee-Tech Maggiolino (I do not recall where), which means it is also out. This leads to my current shortlist:

* Coffee-Tech Torrefattore
    * Diedrich HR-1
    * DiScaf TN-1
    * Mecamau Torrador Domestico
    * Pinhalense TC-0
    * Roure E1-A
Of these the Mecamau and Pinhalense are by far the “cheapest” at around €1500-1700 (including shipping, duty and VAT) as far as I know. The rest are between €3500-5000 in price, which is a lot of money. This doesn’t mean that I couldn’t do it – but that it would definitely take me longer to get there…

Does anyone have experience on any of these roasters? For example, do the Mecamau and Pinhalense let you control the heat (by other means than airflow - i.e. by controlling the heating element)? I assume that the others have this ability.

Any thoughts, experiences and advice would be much appreciated… This is early days and I will probably take some time to consider before making any final decisions (as well as save up some cash)…

Br,
Teme
Last edited by Teme on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teme

Postby ivdp » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi Teme

I am a bit puzzled, the roasters you mention have about 1 kg capacity.
You rule out other 1 kg roasters because of their capacity=

Ivo
ivdp

Postby Teme » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi Ivo,

Yes, I believe there is one on the shortlist than can do a 1kg batch (I have put the capacities in brackets below).

* Coffee-Tech Torrefattore (1kg)
* Diedrich HR-1 (1lb = 454g)
* DiScaf TN-1 (500g)
* Mecamau Torrador Domestico (300g ?)
* Pinhalense TC-0 (300g)
* Roure E1-A (500g)

The reason I included the Coffee-Tech is that it is fairly compact in size and I assume (perhaps incorrectly?) that it can also do smaller batches well. I have ruled out most of the 1kg roasters purely because of their physical size and weight.

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:05 am

I dont have experience of the Pinhalense is the TC-0 but do have some experience of using and buying from Pinhalense. My sample roasters work like a dream are very simple (which is good when you want to repair operate or get someone else to operate), and are fantastic value for money. I'm not sure without looking which model mine are but the only draw back is they are a little noisy, but I can live with that at that price. They are also very good people who I found most helpful.

The only company out of the ones you mention that say you can do smaller batches is Diedrich, they say there 5 kg will do as little as 500g and that was from Steve Diedrich's mouth, but I'm skeptical (even from such a knowledgeable source).
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:17 am

Thanks Steve!

The Pinhalense that I have looked at is this one: http://www.pinhalense.com.br/equip-i-tc0.htm#caract

Could you tell me exactly what controls you have in the ones that you have? Is your's gas or electrically operated?

With regards to you comment on the ability to do smaller batches successfully, I think I will also rule out the 1kg Coffee-Tech.

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:24 am

Its not that one, the one i have is a burns copy with a worm drive and very basic propane gas jets. its this one

http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasters_sample_pro.html

This will do as little as 60g and as much as 500g, the higher weight you get the more difficult it is to get in the profile windows, but its a great piece of kit. Tom at that link does a much better job than me at describing it.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:59 am

Thank you for the link. Looking at the Pinhalense website, the one you have looks like the model they call the T1BL. Hmm... I sent them an email asking for further details on the electric version, price and shipping costs...

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:16 pm

For me its a real Sample roaster (not that the others aren't). But it takes some work to get the hang off, but once you do, it really behaves like a larger relative. You have real control and the ability to feel the roast (if that makes any sense at all).
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Steve wrote:if that makes any sense at all

It certainly does. I definitely do not mind the work, what I do mind is the quality of end product once I master the process :)

These barrel type (if you can call them that) sample roasters do not have any means of removing the chaff during the roast?

I exchanged a couple of emails today with someone who has a Roure 500 gram electric roaster (the E1-A mentioned before) and they appear to be very pleased with it. However, they also feel that the roast is not comparable to a bigger commercial gas fired drum roaster and that the profile control is not comparable. Hmm...

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:53 pm

These barrel type (if you can call them that) sample roasters do not have any means of removing the chaff during the roast?

No you do end up with chaff in your coffee at the end, a lot burns of and a little through the exhausts.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Ok. Thanks Steve. Much appreciated.

I think I will try see if I can find a way of seeing this kind of machines in action and perhaps try them out for myself before making any decisions...

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:21 pm

Well if your ever over this side of the water your welcome ot come see them in action. I have three (soon to be two if a TMC member comes through) two barreled ones of them.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:43 pm

That is very kind of you. I may actually take up on that offer one day if you don't mind (unless we meet in Copenhagen before that - the invite stands :)). How far is Stafford from London anyway? I have lived in Reading and Oxford in my younger days but you know student life - one doesn't venture very far from the local pub and I have never been good in geography...

As I noted and as you probably already knew, these days I am based in Copenhagen, but I travel to London a few times a year on business (also looking forward to seeing and experiencing in person what Jim is coming up with next by the way). I could extend one of these business trips over the weekend...

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:48 pm

I'm around 130miles away or 2 hours on a train. so yes would be great to meet you before Copenhagen but if its then its then :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Hey, Teme - we are half way between London and Stafford by train ...... you have to call in for coffee on the way :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques