Hottop - experiences with the new chip

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hottop - experiences with the new chip

Postby phil » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:00 pm

Well actually it's not just the new chip., it's my whole new roasting approach.

For those who missed the thrilling earlier installments (or simply fell asleep), my roasting approach consists of :
    Set the voltage to 240V open-circuit

Pre-heat the roaster as per SOP. Put the beans in straight away when the pre-heating alarm goes (don't wait to shorten the drying cycle as some have suggested)

Proceed as normal until 1st crack is just about established (i.e. starting to roll rather just the first snap or two). Drop the voltage to as much under 230V as the measured voltage was below 240V e.g. if voltage is 238 drop to 228.

This extends the first crack duration and more importantly the time to second crack, which the Hottop is accused of being a bit quick over.

Watch like a hawk, sniff like a druggie and listen hard

Hit "Eject" when I judge the roast is ready for my purposes.

Now regrettably I'm having to learn additional skills. I've done around a hundred roasts so far, but this light roast thing is proving elusive. This is partly because I don't have a "tryer" to sample the beans, and partly because I'm scared of roasting too light. Look what happened to my KBM the other week!

On Monday I roasted some Kenyan from shhh! you know who!. This is a big fat powerful mother of a bean, with enough wineyness to offset it if you roast it right. I was aiming for the very first snaps of 2nd. When I heard one, I thought "aha! maybe an isolated snap - better wait for at least a second snap". So I did, but it was 30 seconds later. I hit eject right away, but the bean was still cracking in the cooling tray, something I don't normally get with the Hottop.

Tried the roast today in the eSantos. Notwithstanding whether or not I ground too fine and over-brewed the coffee, I'd say it was over-roasted too. Not badly so, but enough to suppress the characteristics that make this such a lovely bean.

Tonight I'm going to do another batch of Thai and some La Torcaza. Both want to be on the light side. Wish me luck!! :D
phil
Founder Member

wish

Postby Sunnyfield » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:49 pm

Good luck, Phil!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:45 pm

aye good luck the panama LTE has come out best for me medium to darker roast, the lighter one tasted a little nutty but let me know how you get on.

steve
Steve
Founder Member

Ahhh!

Postby phil » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:53 pm

Now you tell me!

I just ran it (the PLTE) to just before or maybe around the beginning of 2nd crack.

Steve, tell me - I've noticed recently that some of my SHB Centrals sound much more "vicious" in 2nd crack than I'm used to. Is this something you notice?
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:13 pm

cant say i've noticed, but knocking the heat off after first crack, and then re starting towards 2nd means its pritty vicious anyway. I'll look out on the next roast though
Steve
Founder Member

I don't...

Postby phil » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:38 pm

...put the heat back on for 2nd, I just slow things down after 1st is established as the Hottop is a bit too fast through 1st and into 2nd
phil
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques