Roast Spectrum in colors...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roast Spectrum in colors...

Postby michel » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:59 pm

Don't know about the Agtron/SCAA roast spectrum, but I think there is a copyright on that.
Is somebody in the possession of something similar or is somebody capable of making a color-card to compare our roasted beans too, and to refer too for example while discussing our roast-results...

Michel
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:45 pm

In my experience, the colour of the bean is not just a function of roasting degree, but also the type of bean, so the colour reference becomes slightly obsolete from that point of view. So far we have used terms such as: touching 2nd crack, 10 seconds into second crack, or 15 seconds into rolling crack.

Perhaps Phil and Steve may have some thoughts on this too, as they seem to have the most roasting experience.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:35 pm

Colour is only relevant as a way of obtaining consistency from roast to roast of the same bean IMO.

For example, Kenyans roast quote dark in appearance relatively early, Indos tend to do the opposite.

I think Steve's probably ultra-busy at the moment, with it being near Xmas .....
Last edited by phil on Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:09 am

Let me only say that I think it would be a great help/guide for me while roasting (assuming we have the same beans) when somebody writes: I roasted this particular bean 10 cracks into second, and the color was: XXX

Michel
(thinking about: what to make for his in-laws when they come over for Chrismas... No turkey... No guinea-fowl (made that last year)... hesitating about the rainbow-trout - as it tastes really great steamed in white wine, with garlic, herbs (rosemarine and thyme) and lemon- but doesn't seem to be thé 'meat' on the table for xmas...)
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:30 pm

OT: Traditionally the British used to roast a goose. I will make something around duck.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:34 pm

I *love* roast goose at Christmas (or any other time). Regrettably the kids don't like it as much. A couple of years ago I got away with telling them it was an "organic turkey" :wink:, but these days they're wise to me. They just want turkey, the unadventurous so-and-sos.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:33 pm

My experiance is that colour is only one part and not that useful a part of roasting. As phil says the type of bean really makes a difference. But I know I've seen a site somewhere with a chart of roasts, I'll look into it
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques