I-Roast review

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I-Roast review

Postby DrZeus » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:40 pm

This is cheating, I know, but I found this on CoffeeGeek. Somebody posted a link to the first known review of the I-Roast, and Jim wrote a review of the review.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee ... 5477#25477

I'd have to concur with Jim...quite strange that this putz ended up with a model and not Tom or Mark (or me!).
DrZeus

Postby michel » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:14 pm

Strange and fascinating... I don't know what or who to believe...
(I will still be in row when the new HWPR is for sale though...)

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby DrZeus » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:24 pm

A New Hearthware Precision? Did I understand that right?
DrZeus

Postby michel » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:40 am

DrZeus wrote:A New Hearthware Precision? Did I understand that right?
John,
I'm not quite sure how to interpret your last post...
- Is it that I should have said I-roast (but as I thought the old HWPR was not going to be sold anymore when the I-roast hit the market, I thought I could name it: new HWPR...) Visited www.hearthware.com and it seems that they will be selling both machines at the same time though...

-Or is it you being amazed about me buying an I-Roast in stead of something else (or a second hand...)?

What I find disappointing though about the machine is it's capacity... I presumed (as I think I've read this somewhere) that the I-roast could roast about 250 grams... The difference between 80 (HWPR) and say: 140 (I-ROAST) is not what I hoped for...

Michel
michel

Postby DrZeus » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:52 am

Ah! I thought you had information about a new model of the Precision that was going to come out in addition to the I-Roast.

As far as capacity, it's never really an issue with me since less capacity simply means more roasting. The less I roast in one batch, the sooner I can roast a different origin, or try another profile. :)
DrZeus

Postby phil » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:58 am

Aha - you guys are way ahead of me. I was going to post Jim Schulman's posting on the SM list, which pointed to the review and the CG comments but you're all more awake than I am! Good for you! :lol:

I do have to say though that all those folks who were getting really excited waiting for the I-Roast may be in for a big disappointment. Or maybe Hearthware are as good at marketing as my good friends Chang Yue (the Hottop people)? Dunno. I guess we're a niche market inside a niche market. :(
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:59 am

Oh and John I have no problem with my 250g capacity on the Hottop - I just drink more coffee! :lol:
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:12 pm

Well, if the I-Roast doesn't turn out to be something I want, I think my backup plan is the Precision. From everything I've read, it's a decent little machine for a good price. I just cannot justify spending the money for a Hottop. :/
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:45 pm

As far as im aware there isnt going to be a new presision, there just going to fade it away. Theres very little stocks of it left too. My guy in Germany who gets them for me cant get anymore and the UK distibuter (yak) is warning of low stocks. With no date for the I-Roast Hot Top is going to have a free run if they can sort out a distributor.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:55 pm

The person given an I-Roast to review said "many roasts" had been done during testing but described only four.
I often do three HWP roasts in just one evening!

The I-Roast could still be very good, notwithstanding this review...

Personally, I wanted a roaster able to deliver a slower roast than the HWP to get a bit more body and less acidity for espresso blends BUT with no need for (less repeatable) dial-twiddling until near the end of the roast. (I may also want to roast fast for cafetiere use sometimes, depending on the single bean I'm roasting.)
I do not want to have to add large, heavy extra boxes such as variacs onto the roaster to achieve this - due to (many) pets everything will need to be put away after use.

Phil has put my mind at rest over smoke from the Hottop but it's still too expensive for me if there are any decent cheaper alternatives - even if they are not as good.

Nonetheless, I am beginning to think that Hottop fans may be backing a manufacturer with a better grasp of marketing than Hearthware which is something I wouldn't have dreamt of saying a day or two ago.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:12 pm

I need more reviews, but I lean towards the I-roast.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby michel » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:44 pm

A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby DrZeus » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:59 am

Tom posted a long review to the SweetMaria's list.
DrZeus

I-Roast

Postby HughF » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:01 am

DrZeus wrote:Tom posted a long review to the SweetMaria's list.

I saw both that and the CBC review, thanks. I thought Tom had asked for a pre-production I-Roast for review and been turned down so I was very puzzled (but heartened) to see his review. Maybe I was thinking of Jim Schulman and CG being ignored by Hearthware just not Tom.

There might be no 110V machines until February, HW may make changes to achieve darker roasting when on low mains voltages. 220Volt machines could easily be arriving in summertime at that rate.

It now looks like I was way too hasty in being so gloomy about the I-Roast (I'm glad though, as I want one if it works!) but that first review WAS really naff.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:13 am

I spoke to the uk distributor yesterday and they didnt even know what I was talking about :(

looks like looking to mainland europe for them When or if they arrive

I'm all gloomy now
Steve
Founder Member

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques