Best way to grind non-espresso coffe with doser attached?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Best way to grind non-espresso coffe with doser attached?

Postby larsb » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:00 am

I have a standard Rocky grinder (i.e. with doser), and occasionally I would like to grind coffee for a french press or a moka pot. Obviously, I could grind into the doser and then laboriously empty it into a container. Has anyone developed a better method?
larsb

Postby pault » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:21 pm

when I previously used the La Pavoni Jolly Doser which I assume is similar - I took the doser off completely and used a chop stick to keep the grind coming from the opening and into a small metal measuring bowl I held below - worked well for me and has the added advantage that you're keeping the chute clean of stale coffee - because this method gets nearly all of it out ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby phil » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:51 pm

Frankly I never bothered. I just lived with it.

Now though I have a second grinder.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:04 pm

Have you modified it at all? In other words, I would recommend taking out the metal (measuring) plate in the doser for a start, as well as removing the plastic pf forks to allow a larger receptacle to be placed underneath. Neither of which I use for espresso anyway (even though this is its main usage). I reckon with 4-5 "clicks" I have enough coffee for 6-8 people for a french press... Do you require more than this?
D
Gouezeri

Postby larsb » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:06 am

gouezeri wrote:Have you modified it at all?

No mods. Thanks, I'll probably try removing the pf forks if they become a nuisance.

Normal usage would be 2 cups of moka or 5 cups of french press coffee.
larsb

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:46 am

Well, if you want to improve the amount of coffee that comes out of the doser then you need to unscrew the nut inside the doser, remove the top half of the vanes (it just slides off) and then lift off the metal dosing plate. The plate serves to round off the dose in each "compartment." I'm not sure I would trust a doser to give me a precise amount of grounds for espresso anyway. For espresso, just measure the amount of beans you put in the hopper.
If anything, the pf forks are much trickier to remove than the "dosing plate," but if you have any problems, just drop me a line. Nb. all of these "modifications" are easily reversible.
Dom
Gouezeri

Return to Other Brewing Methods