Grillo Express

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Grillo Express

Postby walts » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:56 pm

Now here is a fine looking piece of coffee brewing equipment. Yes? What are the chances that members have owned or used one of these beautifully designed stove top pots for brewing their espresso? I am looking for some information regarding the performance. Quality of brew. Strength. Taste. Anything relevant. I did try to find a review on this appliance but drew a blank. Okay I would appreciate any response. Thanks in advance.
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

Grillo Express

Postby walts » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:02 pm

Oops forgot to include the picture for your appraisal. Here it is. Enjoy.
Attachments
Grillo.jpg
Grillo.jpg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
walts

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:28 pm

I'm probably going to regret being the first person to reply on this, but here goes... These little "moka pot" style units look great, but I've never had much success with them. I think the crucial element is being able to control the heat applied. Particularly with a model such as this which does not appear to have any form of handle for removing it from the heat quickly. If you don't remove it quickly enough, then the old french adage "café bouillu, café foutu!" definitely applies and coffee ends up everywhere... Or, the coffee gets cold whilst you're busy running your fingers under the cold tap! If you can't reduce the heat quickly enough, coffee gets sprayed everywhere
So, I wouldn't use one of these on a gas, electric ring or solid ring hob.
I will admit, however, I've not used one for a long time and I've learnt all kinds of things about coffee making since I last tried.
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby walts » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:38 am

I'm probably going to regret being the first person to reply on this, but here goes...
No need to regret being honest and helpfull DOM. I am just pleased that someone had the courage to reply. It is not easy for me either, having to reveal that I am looking for the cheapest way to make coffee that, although it definitely isn't espresso, at least is different to the straight brew. Looks like another of my espresso balloons have burst. Thanks for the input. Walt.
walts

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:57 am

Walt,
Maybe I should clarify things a little more. I've owned about 3 different designs of "moka pots" like the one in your picture, where the cups sit on a platform. They all look great, but getting good consistent results out of them is tricky at best. The problem, though, is in the design (which is also what makes them look fun). So, rather than turn you completely off this venture, how about using something more along the lines of this:
www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.mokapot.shtml
which is a more modern version of the well known Bialetti:
www.ineedcoffee.com/03/mokaexpress/?page=2
Aluminium aside, the Bialetti style models do work and are present in homes right across Italy and I have used these with success. It's not foolproof, but it is possible to make good strong coffee (though it's not espresso) as long as you get it off the heat source before it boils!
Hope this makes things a little clearer.
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby walts » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:09 am

Thanks Dom. I shall certainly have a good look at the sites you listed and see what there is on offer. Thanks for the sensitivity you show in your replies. Like good espresso, it is not found everywhere. But when you do find it then it is something to treasure. Regards Walt.
walts

Return to Other Brewing Methods